Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    kritvarma's Avatar
    kritvarma Posts: 23, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 10, 2009, 09:00 PM
    Foreign income
    I am on H1-B and resident. When I went to India I opened a 'NRE' 5-yr fixed deposit account. But that bank doesn't send any interest information (1099) to me. I am not sure how much interest got accrued and when.
    Am I supposed to report that interest income on an yearly basis when I file 1040? Does the total balance or interest be reported else where also? What happens if we forget to report inadvertently?
    Please note that it is not an NRO or FCNR account. It is NRE.
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Mar 10, 2009, 09:29 PM

    Yes, banks in India will not send you 1099-int, but you must still report the interest on your tax return.
    Get info from bank statement or annual tax deduction statement sent by the bank. Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income
    IntlTax's Avatar
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

    Mar 11, 2009, 06:10 AM

    Agree with MukatA. And don't forget to file Form TD F 90-22.1 if the account exceeds $10,000 at any point during the year.
    kritvarma's Avatar
    kritvarma Posts: 23, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 11, 2009, 02:17 PM
    Thanks for your response. I will file it. Just curious what to do if somebody forgets to file this NRE income inadvertently. I know someone who might have forgotten to file for 1 or 2 yrs.
    kritvarma's Avatar
    kritvarma Posts: 23, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 11, 2009, 07:12 PM
    Thanks for your response.
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Mar 11, 2009, 07:28 PM

    You are required to file amended tax return Form 1040X.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,815, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    May 4, 2009, 02:24 PM
    While MukatA IS correct about the need to amend your return, if the amount of interest received is not great (say less than $300), the need to amend also is NOT that great, because the effect on your tax liability is so small as to be insignificant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign Income and Income Tax in 1040 [ 14 Answers ]

Can anybody suggest where to include Foreign Income and Income Tax in 1040 form. I am basically dual status alien but want to make "Resident for Full year" choice which necessiates to include my worldwide wages. I am married. To make this choice what suppose to provide to IRS and how to...

Worldwide Income - Proof of foreign income [ 7 Answers ]

I am a US citizen and my spouse came to the USA on a K-1 visa in early September, 2008. She has been living here ever since. For the 2008 tax year, we plan to file a joint tax return and make her a "Nonresident Alien Treated as a Resident" for tax purposes. To do that, we have to report her...

Tax on J1 with foreign income [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I'll soon be starting a postdoc in California on a J1 visa. Since my fellowship is from a UK charity I'll officially be employed by a UK university who will administer the fellowship and pay me directly. This income would normally be taxable in the uk. I'm a little unsure as to where I...

2006 taxes: F-1 OPT Income & Foreign Income [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a somewhat complicated question about my 2006 taxes... I came to the US in 2001 on a student visa (F1). After I finished my degree I worked one year under OPT, and I left when my OPT/visa expired in May 2006 and went home to my native country and got a job there. So basically I...

Tax on Foreign income ? [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my wife will be filing as "married filing jointly" for tax year 2006 as RESIDENT ALIENS based on passing the substantial presence test. We left the US for UK in June and have lived here ever since ( I cannot claim closer connection to UK based on applications made for change of status in...

View more questions Search