Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    edanaher's Avatar
    edanaher Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 5, 2007, 02:30 PM
    Filing in two states
    I was in Grad school in Ohio at the beginning of 2006 until May where I was getting a stipend.

    Now I moved back to Maryland and have a full time job and own my own business.

    To I have to file taxes in both states even thought my perment address has always been in Maryland?

    Plus I want to use TurboTax, any opinions on the software... good bad?
    IntlTax's Avatar
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

    Jan 5, 2007, 07:47 PM
    Yes, you need to file in both states. You will pay tax to Ohio as a nonresident. The taxes paid to Ohio can be claimed as a credit against your Maryland tax.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 8, 2007, 02:13 PM
    IntlTax's citation is accurate UNLESS you established residence in Ohio while in graduate school.

    If you did that, then you will pay as a part-year resident in Ohio and as a part-year resident in Maryland. Yu pay taxes on the income earned in each state respectively. Be sure to provide each state a copy of the other state tax return to show both how your total salary is accounted for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

4 states of matter [ 17 Answers ]

I needinformation and examples of the 4th state of matter, solid liquid, gas, plasma..

States with the most sunshine [ 12 Answers ]

I have heard that Washington and Michigan are the worst states for sunshine. I would like to see a list of all 50 states that shows which has the most sunshine. Could you get me such a list or tell me where to go to get that list? Our family is dealing with Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Filing Tax for 2 states [ 1 Answers ]

I am working as a software consultant in IOWA and my employer is in NJ. My employer has given me a w 2 which is for NJ. I have worked in IOWA only in last year. I did not earn any income in NJ. Because my employer is in NJ, my withheld state tax goes is going to NJ. For which state Should I file...

Taxes for two States [ 1 Answers ]

I have been in US from 2004 on L1 visa, and last year my company filed a return for me.I was transferred from Helena,Montana to Minneapolis and I travelled on my car and took my things along with me. By what rate I can claim the transportation.What form should I use to claim the amount. I was...

View more questions Search