Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    apappillion's Avatar
    apappillion Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 28, 2010, 02:00 AM
    Filing Taxs When your spouse only works
    I was wondering how do me and my husband file your taxses when he's the only one that works? We have a baby girl that was born in 2009 too. So my question is when we file do we file together as married, and he puts me and our daughter as a dependent? Or do we file as married an just put our daughter as the dependent?
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Jan 28, 2010, 05:12 AM

    You can file as married filing jointly (MFJ) or married filing separately (MFS). In most cases, it is better to file as MFJ. On the joint return your standard deduction is $11,400 and you get two exemptions.

    If you file MFS, you will not get many credits and deductions including EIC.

    On the joint return the liabilities are joint. If one spouse owes tax, both spouses are equally responsible. You may file Form 8379 with joint return.

    This is from IRS publication 17: Your Federal Income Tax.
    Tip. If you and your spouse each have income, you may want to figure your tax both on a joint return and on separate returns (using the filing status of married filing separately). Choose the method that gives the two of you the lower combined tax. Your U.S. Tax Return: Filing Status for Married

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Citizen married filing separately, spouse lives outside US: does spouse need ITIN? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I am a US Citizen living in the US full time. My husband is German, living in Europe full time. We got married in the US in September 2006. My husband is applying for a green card but meanwhile cannot enter the US, due to immigration rules. Therefore we have not lived in the US together...

French income taxes -- spouse lives and works in France [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all! I'm new here, and this is my first question. I searched the previous postings and did not find a good match to my question, so here goes. I am a U.S. citizen and my wife is a citizen of France. We lived together in the U.S. for many years. Last year, however, my wife moved back to...

Married Filing Separately - Spouse non-resident, not filing you.s. Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a US Citizen living in the US full time. My husband is a Canadian resident. We got married in the US in April 2008. We are separated and did not live together during the 2008 tax year and my husband has never lived in the US and has never earned any US income. I am planning to file...

Filing Taxes as married with a spouse who works outside US [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question about my taxes for 2006. I have been on H-1B visa throughout 2006. I got married in July 06 in India and my wife is still in India and she works there. Can I file as status Married and claim her as a dependent? I know I'll have to file W-7 and stuff. But is it possible to...

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

View more questions Search