Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    rochelann's Avatar
    rochelann Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 10, 2007, 05:03 PM
    Filing Taxes in two States?
    The first part of 2006 I was residing in Michigan and collecting unemployment while I was looking for another job.

    Unable to find employment I moved to South Carolina near my daughter and worked there for 6 months.

    I am now back in Michigan and I don't know how to go about filing taxes for the unemployment I collected last year in Michigan and the wages I earned later in the year in South Carolina.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,815, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Mar 11, 2007, 10:15 PM
    You file a SC tax return to pay taxes for income earned in SC. You can file either as a part-year resident or non-resident.

    If you go as part-year resident in SC, then file part-year resident in Michigan. If you go non-resident in SC, then you must go full-year resident in Michigan and calim the SC income on your Michigan return, claim a creit for the taxes paid to SC.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing 2 states taxes at different times [ 1 Answers ]

I have a permanent residence in Maryland. But this past year I have worked 2 jobs in VA as well. I am asking if I can file my Maryland taxes seperatly from my VA. I ask only because I have not received all my VA w-2's and I ihave my Maryland. Any help for a confused soul?

Filing Taxes in Two states [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a resident of California since Dec 2005. I have received some back salary payment from my old company in Missouri in 2006. They paid off my dues in 2006. I have two W2s with payments from CA (present employer at California) and the other from Mo (old employer at Missouri). Since...

Filing taxes when lived in two different states [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I just recently moved from California to Montana. We both worked and have W2's from California. We also both worked in Montana and will be receiving W2's in that state as well. I was curious on how to go about filing are taxes for the year 2006?

Filing taxes for 2 states [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I normally do my taxes myself but for 2006, I'm a bit confused. I am a CA resident and worked in California for part of the year (8 months) and I paid CA state tax. Then for the remainder of the year, I worked in Connecticut (and paid CT state tax) -- even though I still have a CA drivers...

Filing in two states [ 2 Answers ]

I was in Grad school in Ohio at the beginning of 2006 until May where I was getting a stipend. Now I moved back to Maryland and have a full time job and own my own business. To I have to file taxes in both states even thought my perment address has always been in Maryland? Plus I want to...

View more questions Search