Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !

    Filing taxes married living different states

    Asked Sep 25, 2008, 07:19 AM 1 Answer
    I am relocating to Boston MA and my husband is a retired federal employee who pays federal taxes residing in Puerto Rico. In PR we file separately.

    {Moved from Forum Help-<>}

    Last edited by ScottGem; Sep 25, 2008 at 07:33 AM.
    Search this Question
    Share |
    1 Answer
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,652, Reputation: 840
    Senior Tax Expert

    Sep 26, 2008, 08:29 AM

    If you filed separately before, then continuing to do so will make your state tax issues much easier to address.

    You will pay Massachusetts taxes ONLY on your salary. You will have to provide your spouse's name and SSN on your tax return, but he will NOT have to file a Massachusetts return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes when Married, Living & Working in Two Different States [ 3 Answers ]

Dear someone, My husband and I are married but currently live and work in two different states -- I in Kentucky and he in Illinois. Will this impact our federal filing and, if so, how? And how do we file state taxes? Also, how do I go about finding a tax professional with expertise that can...

Married, but living in two states [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am married and as of last year both myself and my husband are residents in KY (we both had lived in WV for the past 27 years). I am applying to school in West Virginia and would like to avoid paying out of state tuition. Can I become a West Virginia resident (rent an apartment,...

Just married living in 2 states. [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I were married in 2006. In 2006 she worked and lived in NJ and I worked and lived in NY. I am very confused about filing our taxes jointly... Are we supposed to say that we were resident of NY and NJ, and how do we avoid getting taxed twice by both states... If anyone has any...

Married but living in different states [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I are married but are living and working in different states. Her in California and myself in Michigan. We own a home in Michigan where I live with our 15 year old son. She rents an apartment in California where she lives with our 16 year old daughter. How do we file our federal taxes...

View more questions Search