Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    dindin2008's Avatar
    dindin2008 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 7, 2008, 12:33 PM
    Filing taxes on income from foreign business
    I am married to a U.S. citizen and we moved from Europe to the U.S. in May 2007. Over 2007 I have around $12000 of income from running a small business with a partner. This business is registered in Europe, which means that that income would be qualified as 'foreign income'

    It seems I have two (relevant)options:

    1. Filing jointly as a 'full year resident', which means that the whole $12000 will be taxed in the U.S, but we can get the standard deduction for married couples.

    2. Filing as a dual status citizen the first year, but that requires me to file separately instead of jointly (if I understand correctly). This means that only the income generated after I came here will be taxed, which would be around $6000. I can't use the standard deduction in that case.

    So if we go with option 1 is all I have to do is add the foreign income to our U.S. income and fill in the total amount on line 7 on the 1040 form?

    Or should the foreign income be treated differently? Do I need other forms?
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Apr 25, 2008, 01:16 PM
    Yes, you do add the income to your tax return, but on Schedule E Page 2.

    Further, part of the income can be redacted out of the return under the Foreign Income Exclusion using Form 2555.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes on Foreign Earned Income [ 4 Answers ]

If I am an employee of a foreign company (I am a US citizen residing in that country). I pay taxes in the foreign country. They do not issue a w-2 or 1099 because they are not a US company. Am I required to include this income in my US tax forms and if so where and is it subject to US income tax?

Social security taxes on foreign earned income [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, If a person works outside US as an employee, does he have to pay social security taxes in the US on that foreign earned income? The foreign employer has nothing to do with the US. It is in Russia. Thanks

State Taxes on Foreign Earned Income [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I live and work in the Caribbean. We are US citizens and maintain a permanent home in Georgia (where we lived prior to moving to the Caribbean). Our federal tax return allows an income and expenses exemption, up to a specified amount. Apparently, Georgia doesn't allow this...

Foreign income taxes [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter worked in the US for the first six months and in the UK for the last 5 months of 2006. Roughly calculating her taxes she would get a sizeable refund if she only declared her US income and a much smaller refund if she declared all income and filed Form 1116. Must she declare ALL foreign...

2006 taxes: F-1 OPT Income & Foreign Income [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a somewhat complicated question about my 2006 taxes... I came to the US in 2001 on a student visa (F1). After I finished my degree I worked one year under OPT, and I left when my OPT/visa expired in May 2006 and went home to my native country and got a job there. So basically I...

View more questions Search