Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Latinofire202's Avatar
    Latinofire202 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 19, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Filing taxes from 4 different states.
    I lived in Memphis, TN from January until June of 2007 then from August until November of 2007. I worked in Tennessee and also in Mississippi, so I received my forms from those respective states. However, the months I didn't mention, I lived in Illinois. I also worked in Illinois and Indiana. So I also have forms from those states as well.

    As you can tell, it is very confusing. A cousin of my wife did my taxes and I received an amount very small that I believe is not right. How do I go about seeing if he did my taxes correctly? What is the process to filing taxes from so many different states?
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Apr 19, 2008, 08:05 PM
    Where did you live in Dec 2007? If your lived in TN, then TN is your tax home.

    File tax returns for Mississippi, Illinois and Indiana and pay tax only on the income from a state while working in the state.
    For TN return, report all your income for the year. Then claim credit for taxes paid to Mississippi, Illinois and Indiana.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing taxes in two states [ 1 Answers ]

In 2007 I worked in California from January to May. Then I moved back to Minnesota for the summer, and worked there from June to October. I have a driver's license in Minnesota... does this make me a Minnesota resident? Then in October I moved back to California for the second time, and finished...

Filing Taxes for Two States [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I am in need of major help on my taxes. I worked in Illinois from January- September in 2007. In September I had to move back to St. Louis, Missour. I then acquired a part time job in October 2007 to this present day. My question for you is, how do I file taxes for both states? Would I...

Filing taxes in 2 States [ 2 Answers ]

I am a resident of Texas and worked there for half of 2007. The other half I moved to South Carolina and am working full time and attending grad school without establishing residency. I have received both W2's for the year. One with my Texas address and one with my South Carolina address. What...

Filing Taxes in two States? [ 1 Answers ]

The first part of 2006 I was residing in Michigan and collecting unemployment while I was looking for another job. Unable to find employment I moved to South Carolina near my daughter and worked there for 6 months. I am now back in Michigan and I don't know how to go about filing taxes for...

Filing taxes for 2 states [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I normally do my taxes myself but for 2006, I'm a bit confused. I am a CA resident and worked in California for part of the year (8 months) and I paid CA state tax. Then for the remainder of the year, I worked in Connecticut (and paid CT state tax) -- even though I still have a CA drivers...

View more questions Search