Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    fraissi's Avatar
    fraissi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 24, 2007, 09:15 AM
    Filing taxes for 2 states
    Hi there, I normally do my taxes myself but for 2006, I'm a bit confused. I am a CA resident and worked in California for part of the year (8 months) and I paid CA state tax. Then for the remainder of the year, I worked in Connecticut (and paid CT state tax) -- even though I still have a CA drivers license. Should I file two separate state tax returns? How does the resident/non resident thing work? Any advice would be very much appreciated! Thanks :) BellaLuna
    shygrneyzs's Avatar
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

    Jan 24, 2007, 09:20 AM
    The money you earned in CT gets filed to the CT Tax Department. The money you earned in CA gets filed to the CA Tax Department. Remember to enlcose a copy of your Federal Tax return with both state returns.
    fraissi's Avatar
    fraissi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 24, 2007, 09:25 AM
    Ok thank you. Do I have to file as a res/non resident or does that not matter? Please advise. Thanks very much for your help.
    shygrneyzs's Avatar
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

    Jan 24, 2007, 06:43 PM
    The resident/non resident I do not know. I do know there are other threads that have been posted on this very question. Maybe searching some of those will bring you an answer.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 24, 2007, 09:35 PM

    You would file part-year residents in both states UNLESS the Connecticut job was only temporary, in which case you would file resident in California and non-resident in Connecticut.

    Also, attach copies of the other state's tax return when you file. It answers a lot of question before they are asked.

    I suggest you get professional tax help. I am available. If interested, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing in two states [ 2 Answers ]

I was in Grad school in Ohio at the beginning of 2006 until May where I was getting a stipend. Now I moved back to Maryland and have a full time job and own my own business. To I have to file taxes in both states even thought my perment address has always been in Maryland? Plus I want to...

Filing Tax for 2 states [ 1 Answers ]

I am working as a software consultant in IOWA and my employer is in NJ. My employer has given me a w 2 which is for NJ. I have worked in IOWA only in last year. I did not earn any income in NJ. Because my employer is in NJ, my withheld state tax goes is going to NJ. For which state Should I file...

Which states I should file taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I am an MBA student ( on F1 visa) in North Carolina, and did my internship in New York during summer last year. I stayed in New Jersey while doing my internship. I also have income from working in school as well. Now, which states am I required to file taxes. Can you recommend some easy sites...

Taxes for two States [ 1 Answers ]

I have been in US from 2004 on L1 visa, and last year my company filed a return for me.I was transferred from Helena,Montana to Minneapolis and I travelled on my car and took my things along with me. By what rate I can claim the transportation.What form should I use to claim the amount. I was...

3 states taxes + ITIN for wife [ 3 Answers ]

Hello experts, I've been on H1 for the whole of 2005. I got married in Aug 2005 and my wife joined me in Nov on H4. I have three W-2 forms for three different states for 2005. Now, this is the first time I am going to do my taxes on my own. So - 1) Do I file as "Married filing jointly" or...

View more questions Search