Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    ethedium's Avatar
    ethedium Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 10, 2007, 01:47 PM
    Filing status different for Federal return and State return
    Can I use a different filing status for Federal and State?

    I got married in October last year, but I and my wife were residing in separate states till early 2007. So, on Dec 31st we were married but did not stay together.

    For the state I guess we cannot file JOINT because of different states. Now, in that case can we file the Federal taxes jointly?

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Apr 18, 2007, 08:45 AM
    Actually, most states REQUIRE you file the same way you filed on your federal return.

    You just need to adjust the income on which you pay the state income tax.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing tax return (Changed status from F1-OPT to H1B) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I was a F1 student from Jan 2001 to Dec 2005. I am an Indian citizen and single I did my OPT in Texas Tech Univ. from Dec 18 2005 to Dec 17 2006. I got my H1B on Dec 18 2006 from TTU. I have Fedral income tax, social security tax and medicare tax charged during 2006. Which of the forms...

Joint Federal Return - separate state returns [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I were legally separated for all of 2006. We know we can file a joint federal return but she needs to also file in Georgia. I lived and worked in Texas the entire year. Can we file a joint federal return and file it with the IRS, have her fill out a federal return as a single person...

F-1 Student, Federal &/vs. State Tax return [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question about the State Tax return. I am a student on an F-1 visa and have been filing the 1040 NR-EZ and 8843 every year (as told by my school). In previous years a treaty prevented any federal or state tax to be withheld from my earnings, but not this past year (treaty with Germany...

How to decide resident alien status for filing Tax return [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the United States since January 1, 2006 and I am still here in United States. I am in H1 Visa and my wife and son are on H4. We all arrived together. Can I consider myself as resident alien for filing tax return? Can I file return as a married filing jointly? My wife is not working.

Federal return collected by state for state liability [ 1 Answers ]

I live in wi and filed married jointly I owe the wisc. Dep. Of revenue money but I have paid off the IRS . I filed my fed. Return electronicly and it was accepded, can the wisc .dep. Of rev. take my fed tax return? Or will my fed return be deposited in my account that I have specified with my...

View more questions Search