Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    coastiewife06's Avatar
    coastiewife06 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 27, 2007, 05:30 PM
    Filing from 2 states
    Hello, I'm new on this forum, but would like to know how I'm suppose to file my taxes. My husband is in the military, and is able to keep his state of residence in Georgia, so he can file all through Georgia. I lived there most of the year, and worked there most of the year, and then we moved to California, and I worked the last few months out here. Do I have to file in both states, or can I just file in Georgia since I lived there most of the year. I'm so confused as what to do. This is my second year to actually have to file state taxes, so I'm still getting use to what I'm suppose to be doing. LOL Thanks for the advice.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 27, 2007, 06:29 PM
    You WILL need to file in both state as part-year residents. You will pay taxes to California on the income YOU earned there, and your husband and you will pay Georgia for the income you both earned in Georgia.

    I understand that it IS confusing to the average person, but tax professionals handle these problems all the time.

    I offer my professional tax services. If interested, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing in two states [ 1 Answers ]

While in school in SC I had a part time job. I was also renting an apartment. I am now done with school in back in FL where I now work. My parents claim me but do I need to file two states?

Filing taxes when lived in two different states [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I just recently moved from California to Montana. We both worked and have W2's from California. We also both worked in Montana and will be receiving W2's in that state as well. I was curious on how to go about filing are taxes for the year 2006?

Filing taxes for 2 states [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I normally do my taxes myself but for 2006, I'm a bit confused. I am a CA resident and worked in California for part of the year (8 months) and I paid CA state tax. Then for the remainder of the year, I worked in Connecticut (and paid CT state tax) -- even though I still have a CA drivers...

Filing in two states [ 2 Answers ]

I was in Grad school in Ohio at the beginning of 2006 until May where I was getting a stipend. Now I moved back to Maryland and have a full time job and own my own business. To I have to file taxes in both states even thought my perment address has always been in Maryland? Plus I want to...

Filing Tax for 2 states [ 1 Answers ]

I am working as a software consultant in IOWA and my employer is in NJ. My employer has given me a w 2 which is for NJ. I have worked in IOWA only in last year. I did not earn any income in NJ. Because my employer is in NJ, my withheld state tax goes is going to NJ. For which state Should I file...

View more questions Search