Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Arkan's Avatar
    Arkan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 14, 2008, 12:19 PM
    Filed taxes using form 1040 on F1 visa

    I am new to this forum and found it very useful. I was on F1 visa till 1 October, 2007 and I was on OPT from March till October 2007. Now from October, 2007 onwrds I am on H1B Visa. I still have to file my 2007 taxes, I have few quesries.. I really appreciate any help. My que are

    1. While on F1 visa, I filled my taxes via some tax consultant. They filed my taxes using form 1040 for 2005, 2006. So now do I need to file amended tax return for 2005, 2006 as per form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ? ( Note: My income during 2005 and 2006 was not very high)

    2. Now while on OPT from March, 2007 till October, 2007, my employer deducted SSN and medicate TAX ( only for initial few months, then they stop deducting), so I need to claim that amount. So being on H1B now, should I file form 1040NR or 1040? If I file 1040 this year, I cannot claim SSN and Medicare Tax deducetd by error.

    I am very confues and really need help in this regard.

    Thanks in Advance.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    May 1, 2008, 11:02 AM
    1) Yes, you need to amend your 2004 and 2005 tax return to get the records straight that you were a non-resident alien for those years.

    2) Since you did NOT meet the Substantial Presence Test for 2007, you need to file as a non-resident alien for 2007 as well.

    Yes, you CAN get the Social Security and Medicare taxes back that was improperly withheld during your OPT period.

    First, you must request that the employer refund these taxes. When they refused (which they will because the tax year has been closed), get the refusal in writing, preferably on company letterhead.

    You then submit Form 843 with the refusal letter and other support documents as specified on Page 49 of IRS Pub 519.

    This needs to be done AFTER you amend your 2004 and 2005 tax return, or the Form 843 will be rejected.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wrong Tax form filed by f-1 student. Filed 1040 instead of 1040NR. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am in a dilemma and I will really appreciate your help. I am a student/f-1 visa holder (non-resident alien). Last week I used an online website (File my taxes for FREE! with FreeTaxUSA) to file tax returns and realized that the website used Form 1040, and PA-40 - 2007 (for...

F1 visa (OPT), Substantial Presence Test & 1040(NR)-EZ form [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm under a J-1 visa, currently doing my OPT, I spent the whole year of 2007 in the US (365 days), 120 days in 2006 and 180 days in 2005 but the IRS website states: "Do not count days for which you are an exempt individual. The term "exempt individual " does not refer to someone exempt...

Which tax form to be filed if on H1 visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am on H1b visa for the whole 2007 my wife is on H4 and we had a baby in August who is a us citizen. I want to know which forms do I have to file, i.e 1040 as a resident alien or 1040NR. Which one will give me more deductions and do I get child credit if I file form 1040NR. I am from,...

Noneresident / filed wrong tax form 1040 instead of 1040nr [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I live in Europe and own real estate in California since 1984. Between 1984 and 1990 I have lived always more than 180 days in California. My daughter was born in 1990 and the wife and I only have visited the state of and on during the year. Until I got married to my wife I was always paying...

Filed 1040 in 2005 instead of 1040NR: Which form should be filed for 2006? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I came to the US in Fall 04 and since then have been continuously on an F-1 student visa. I filed form 1040NR-EZ for 2004, but for 2005 I hired a CPA who (without informing me) filed a 1040 on my behalf. In there, he claimed an education credit (or something to that effect) which effectively...

View more questions Search