Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    pchaudhary1's Avatar
    pchaudhary1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 5, 2011, 03:01 PM
    Federal income tax - first year choice of residency
    I am on L1 visa and came to USA from India with my wife and kid on 10 oct 2010. For income tax filing for 2010 I am taking the first year choice of residency. Hence I have filed an extension and when I complete 183 days in USA, I will file my returns (on 3 July 2011).

    I am filing as married filing jointly. I have an SSN and will be applying for my wife's and kids ITIN when I file my returns.

    For first year choice of residency I have read that one has to declare world income.

    I would like to know whether :

    1) World income i.e income from India + income in US is to be declared on line 7 of form 1040 ?

    2) Since I only have form W2 to attach (which shows only US income), is there any other form to be attached which shows my India income ?

    taxesforaliens's Avatar
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117
    Senior Member

    Mar 15, 2011, 08:23 AM
    1) Yes, you need to report your worldwide income. But you maybe able to exclude it from being taxed using form 2555 or taking a credit for foreign paid taxes on form 1116.
    2) You do not need to attach any statement, but you should have the records at hand in case the IRS audits you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual residency federal tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US in Nov 2009. Previously I was in US from Jul 2007 to Oct 2008. Will I have to file my tax as Dual Status for 2009? Do I have fill 1040NR-EZ also? Regards,

1120: State income tax deductible in federal tax return for corp. [ 2 Answers ]

In our C Corp. we use the Accrual method of accounting. Nevertheless, in our past Federal Inc. tax returns, my accountant (actually, ex-accountant) has been deducting the State Inc. Taxes PAID in the FY, instead of the accrued tax. I want to start deducting the accrued tax, starting this FY's...

Residency status for US federal tax returns [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am in USA since last 1.5 years, and am F1 visa. My wife also came to US with me 1.5 years back, and is on F-2 visa. But from Oct 1 2008 to Dec 31 2008, she was working and was on H1B visa. But for rest of her stay in US, she has been on F-2 visa and is currently also on F-2 visa. I...

First Year Choice: worldwide income [ 4 Answers ]

A person worked in France from 1/1/2006 to 9/14/2006. Then she worked in the US from 9/15/2006 to 12/31/2006, and continued to work in the US the whole 2007 year under a H1-B visa. She decided to choose First-Year Choice option for paying tax in 2006. She already paid tax in France. Is that...

Residency for NC state income tax [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a house in North Carolina (NC) in June 2006 while living in Florida (FL) in a house I owned. Foreseeing that I would be moving in a couple of weeks, I changed my drivers license to NC in July because I had moved my auto insurance to NC when I bought the house (package deal on...

View more questions Search