Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Arun_varma_2011's Avatar
    Arun_varma_2011 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 21, 2011, 07:40 PM
    - FBAR - Wire transfer to foreign account as loan

    I have a foreign account. In 2008 I lost my job and I had to borrow money from my friend to pay installments on my retirement home in the foreign country. Since the loan was payable in foreign country my friend wired the money to my foreign back account using which I paid my home. I need to return the loan back to him over a period next 10-12 years. The loan was around 80000 USD.
    Will IRS be treating this loan as taxable income? I have a promisary note of the loan and the lender has another copy. Since the FBAR penalties are stiff I am really concerned.

    Please Advice and help. Thanks for reading this post and taking time to answer it.

    Arun_varma_2011's Avatar
    Arun_varma_2011 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 22, 2011, 05:22 PM
    Anyone on this question please?

    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Apr 25, 2011, 05:42 AM

    If it is a loan, why should I treat it as income.

    If your friend is not a US citizen or resident, he can even give you gift without any US tax implications.

    If you earn any interest in your bank account, do report it on your US tax return.
    Nadel's Avatar
    Nadel Posts: 35, Reputation: 2
    Junior Member

    Apr 29, 2011, 05:29 AM
    The FBAR requirements pertain to reporting all foreign accounts if the maximum total value of accounts > $10K . If your foreign account surpassed 10K, then you must report it. The source of the funds (whether it's a loan, a gift, or your own money) is irrelevant. This is very important.

    Also, you must report any interest earned in this account on your income tax return. If the account was < 10K, there was no FBAR fileing requirement. If the account was > 10K but there was no interest earned (not even a penny or the equivalent), then you're OK, and you can just file FBARs. Otherwise, you could have a problem if there are delinquent FBARs for prior years (you still have time for 2010).

    There are a some other complications if you took a personal loan (but those are smaller). You can check IRS rules regarding personal loans -- if they are below market interest rates, then they might be considered income.
    Arun_varma_2011's Avatar
    Arun_varma_2011 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 30, 2011, 12:37 PM
    Comment on Nadel's post
    I think the maximum interest is 1500 USD. Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks.
    Nadel's Avatar
    Nadel Posts: 35, Reputation: 2
    Junior Member

    May 2, 2011, 04:23 AM
    The FBAR filing requirement holds if you have a foreign financial account over $10K. If your foreign bank account had more than that when your friend wired to it, then you need to report that sum. It will not be counted as income, but you need to report it nonetheless, and report any income earned by that account. The FBAR filing is important.

    It does not matter if you earned less than 1500 in interest and dividends from all sources (including US sources) that year. The FBAR filing requirement still holds. On schedule B, you can avoid filing out the section that asks about foreign accounts if you have less than $1500 in income all told, but the FBAR must still be filed. That is an independent requirement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident alien with foreign bank account + private foreign retirement plan-form3520? [ 6 Answers ]

For 2010 I am a resident alien for tax purposes. I do have a foreign bank account with more than $10.000 so I to file form TD F 90-22.1 (thanks to bine2 for the clarification). While filing form 1040 - schedule B: Do I have to enter my foreign interest in part I? Who would be the payer, my foreign...

FBAR on inheritance $ kept in a foreign account [ 2 Answers ]

My parents have an account in Hong Kong that was set up to receive the inheritance $ from my mom's parents when they passed. The account has been idle except when they visited in Hong Kong in 2003(?) and use some of the $ for spending $ while they visited. They never filed any FBAR or FORM 3520...

Money transfer from a spouse account to another account [ 1 Answers ]

My spouse is in the Military living in another state and has been receiving BAH. Half of the BAH was alloted to a joint account for me to take care of the bills where I live. However, he has stop the allotment and refuse to send me $1. I have been monitoring his checking account and he has been...

How do I transfer my own foreign cash into us [ 1 Answers ]

I sold my home in Canada as my family are now officially residents of the US. I want to bring my money to the US as I have no plan to return to Canada and want to have use of it and invest it here. Can I just transfer it to my bank here? And what are the tax consequences. I've already paid tax...

View more questions Search