Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Jul 23, 2007, 03:06 PM
    Family member pay
    Ok, new business up and running,

    I have some family members ( son) who goes in various stores where I have my products and they help keep them looking good on the shelf.

    This son lives at home. I plan on paying him, but I am wondering, as a minor child, how much can they earn before they have to declare their earnings.
    XenoSapien's Avatar
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42
    Senior Member

    Jul 23, 2007, 04:24 PM
    My understanding is 600$. I could be wrong, as it varies state to state, but here it is 600.

    ebaines's Avatar
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307

    Jul 24, 2007, 08:26 AM
    Assuming that the child is considered your employee (i.e. he is not self-employed), then from IRS Pub 501: for a person who is claimed as a dependent on someone else's return (which I assume is the case here):

    You must file a return if any of the following apply.
    Your unearned income was more than $850.

    Your earned income was more than $5,150.

    Your gross income was more than the larger of

    $850, or

    Your earned income (up to $4,850) plus $300.

    It also states:

    Child's earnings. Amounts a child earns by performing services are his or her gross income. This is true even if under local law the child's parents have the right to the earnings and may actually have received them. If the child does not pay the tax due on this income, the parent is liable for the tax.

    If you are his employer, be sure to withhold and pay the necessary Social Security tax for the child.

    If the child is considered self-employed, then he must file if his earnings are greater than $400.

    All of this applies to filing a federal tax return. Check your state to see what the requirements are for paying state income tax where you live.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jul 26, 2007, 04:53 PM
    If the child is under age 18, there is NO REQUIREMENT to wothhold and pay Social Security and Medicare taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eviction of family member [ 6 Answers ]

Can a family member (21 years old) be evicted from home (Virginia)... not contributing to the household, unemployed, not looking for work, stealing from the house.

How to evict a family member [ 7 Answers ]

Hello I need to know how to evict a family member (with children). This family member has pay some money to us during a year about 300.00 a month. After this person was told to move out this person stop helping with the 300. A month. There is no lease because this person was being help. I think...

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

Evicting family member [ 2 Answers ]

A couple of years ago my brother's house was being foreclosed on. He asked my sister and her husband to buy it and let him live in it and he would make payments. They did that to help him out. However, he has continually failed to make the payments as he agreed to and only has made a couple in...

How to evict a family member [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, Help! I own my mother's house. Brother moved in after a divorce. He keeps promising to pay rent and doesn't. No written lease. I want to evict him/kick him out! What is the legal procedure? Thanks for your time.

View more questions Search