Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    maddyatl's Avatar
    maddyatl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 19, 2007, 03:09 AM
    F1 student visa holder trying to avoid tax on relocation

    My company is willing to reimburse $1500 for relocation expenses.
    I have kept receipts of everything including gas, food etc etc but have not claimed these reimbursements yet.
    I am still working as an intern here in CA (CPT status) and I am a F1 student visa holder employed 1/2 time (20hrs/week) in GA.
    How should I claim them or tell the company to draft my income/W2 in order to avoid taxes on $1500 reimbursible relocation.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jun 19, 2007, 02:22 PM
    If you are reimbursed under an accountable plan (you file a claim for moving expenses and provide the receipts; they reimburse only up to the claim amount), then the moving reimbursement should NOT be taxable. However, you will NOT be able to claim any moving expenses on your tax return.

    If you are reimbursed under a non-accountable plan (they just GIVE you the $1,500 with no receipts), then the $1,500 is considered taxable income. However, you can then claim limited moving expenses by filing Form 3903 with your tax return next year.

    It is rare that the employee is given a choice. Usually, the COMPANY decides how they will handle the moving reimbursement. Suggest you double-check with your employer to make sure you have got your facts straight.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dependent tax exemption for L1 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

I came to US in oct 2006 on L1 visa. My wife and son came in Dec. I started paying for their medical insurance since oct. Now I have received my W2 form. Can I claim my wife and son as dependents to get the tax benefit. I assume I need to file 1040NR form filing jointly with wife. Which...

Dependent Tax exmption for H1 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am planning to start working in USA on H1 visa from October 2007 and my wife will join me later in year 2008. Will I be able to claim for dependent tax exemption for year 2007 and 2008 though my wife joins me in end of year 2008? If my wife also gets H1 visa and accompanies me in year...

Tax Deduction for J-1 Visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in NY as a trainee (J-1visa). This year I had relevant medical expences (dentist), not paid by the health insurance. Can I deduct them? Thank you

Tax Return for H3b Visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine is currently working in th U.S on a H-3B visa. She has been advised that she can only claim back $602 of the $2335,62 in Federal Tax that she has paid in over the last year... is this possible ?

Tax for H1 and H4 visa holder [ 5 Answers ]

I am in H1b Visa, my wife came here in H4 visa in Nov 15, 2006. Can I fill 1040 for 2006 jointly with my wife so that we can receive 13000 standard deduction? She needs a ITIN? She can not have a SSN. Thanks.

View more questions Search