Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    indianguevara's Avatar
    indianguevara Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 11, 2013, 06:32 PM
    F1-OPT to H1B. Is form 8843 required
    I'm an indian national who was studying in the US. I graduated in Dec 2011, and have been working at a company since Jan 2012 on F1-OPT. On Oct 1, 2012, my status changed to H1-B.

    I've already filed my taxes, and not filled Form 8843. My tax consultant says I don't need to file it, since Schedule OI contains the relevant information (change of status, days in US etc.).

    Should I send my Form 8843?
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Apr 12, 2013, 12:44 AM
    If you did not pay Social Secuity and Medicare taxes during your OPT period, you are required to file Form 8843.
    Now you can not send form 8843 alone. For this you need to file amended tax return after waiting for alteast 8 weeks after filing original return.
    Or just take no action. If IRS has any question, they will contact you. If IRS asks you to pay social security taxes for your OPT period, then you can file amended tax return.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,815, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Apr 13, 2013, 09:57 PM
    Actually, in this case, I believe he should send the Form 8843 by itself. He just needs to print off the second page and SIGN it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

On OPT. Do I need to file Form 8843? [ 3 Answers ]

Dear AtlantaTaxPrep, I have been in the US since August 2009 and only worked on OPT in Summer 2012. I did not file any 8843 forms while I was not working here. I am now filing my federal tax returns for 2012 and I was wondering if I should fill out Form 8843 for 2012 (to take into account previous...

Form 8843 and OPT [ 4 Answers ]

I have been all year 2006 under OPT. I understand I have to fill 1040NR and form 8843. Form 8843 indicates to list the University attended and if there was any application to change status to that of a lawful permanent resident. Do I indicate the university I graduated from even though I did not...

How to fill Form 8843 for F1-OPT-H1? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I moved from F1, then was on OPT and finally on H1. I have figured out that I am a non-resident alien for tax purposes. But there is very little instruction for filling Form 8843. Q1) Since I was a student on F1 and then was on OPT, should I fill both the Trainee part as well as the...

Did not file Form-8843 for 2003-2004. OPT-H1 2005 Tax Need Help [ 6 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert, I came to US in 2002 as F1 student.I filed the 8843 Form for the 2002 and after that some how I missed all the consecutive years 8843 forms, since I had no employment.Now I have graduated in Dec 2004 and then started working on OPT until dec 31st 2005.My H1 started on 1st...

OPT-> H1, Is 8843 Required ? [ 2 Answers ]

For Year 2005: OPT STATUS -> Jan 9 to Oct 13 H1B -> OCT 13 onwards I am filling 1040NR-EZ. Do I need to fill 8843, If yes (Which I think I do) what I am supposed to fill in Part -3, line 9 "Enter the School attended during 2005"?? I Graduated in Dec 2004, I didn't attend school 2005, do...

View more questions Search