Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    chenzfi_inc's Avatar
    chenzfi_inc Posts: 6, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 2, 2006, 07:13 PM
    F1 to H1, dual status?
    Last year, in the first two months, I was working at my school on my OPT in NY, and then I moved to Florida and am working for a consulting company since March. From March 2nd to August 1st I was OPT status. After August 1st, I changed F-1 visa to H1B visa. From what I read from IRS, I am supposed to be a dual status in 2005. Am I right? Also my company only gave me on W-2 form for last year besides a W-2 form from my school. Should I ask a separate W-2 form from my company? I came to USA in August 2000, so by August 2005 I was still a non-resident since I was F-1 visa. Do I understand correct? Sorry for so many questions. Just this tax status is really confusing. Thank you very much. One more question, my company withhold my Medicare and Social Security taxes during my OPT, should I ask them to refund me? What kind of documents should I provide to them? Thanks a lot. :)
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Feb 2, 2006, 09:56 PM

    Dual status is an option, as is resident alien status under First Year Choice.

    After five years under F-1 status, you lose your exemption to SS and Medicare taxes.

    First, ask for the refund from your company. If they refuse, you can file Form 843 to request the refund of SS and Medicare taxes. Check out page 46, IRS Pub 519 for the details.
    chenzfi_inc's Avatar
    chenzfi_inc Posts: 6, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 3, 2006, 11:13 AM
    Hi, thank you for the information. So should I file both 1040 NR and 1040 forms? Also if my company can't refund me ss and medicare taxes and I have to file 843, how can I separate the part of wages with ss and medicare exemption from one W-2 form? Thank you very much.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Feb 3, 2006, 10:51 PM
    If you file dual status, you have to prepare both 1040 and 1040NR, and it has to be done is a very specific manner. That is one reason why I recommend filing First Year Choice.

    Separating out how much of the salary was taxed for Social Security and Medicare is a simple math problem. All you really need is the flat tax percentages, which are 6.2% for Social Security and 1.45% for Medicare.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Status Return & Dual Status Statement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE: Just curious, which amount will be refunded to us if we file 1040 as Dual Status Statement & 1040NR as Dual Status Return? Or the total of both? Best, Jesslyn

A dual status? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi guys, I know there are lots of message about dual status on this site. However, I'm still confused by if I'm dual status. Could someone help me according to my situation? 6/2000 entered the States Sep 2004 to July 4, 2005 on OPT July 5,2005 on H1B status Re-entered the States on Oct 2005...

Dual Status [ 1 Answers ]

I am on a H1-B with my present company valid from 20th October 2005. Before that I was working on OPT (F-1 visa) from June 30th 2005-19th Oct 2005. I am an Indian citizen. Which form do I use for filing my taxes?

Dual Status: F1 to GC [ 1 Answers ]

Good morning, My husband and I got our GC, but we were F1 until June'05. IRS pub 519 says that in our case, there is the 1st year choice : resident for the entire year, or NR for the 1st part and then resident (but then, no standard deductions, only itemized). Because, we had scholarship...

Dual Status (F1+H1) [ 14 Answers ]

AtlantaTaxExpert and other experts, Background: Nationality : India Y2004 F1(OPT) : 20 days H1 : 345 days # of days in US during 2004 : 341

View more questions Search