Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    10AM's Avatar
    10AM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 27, 2008, 07:18 PM
    Does Tax Levy apply to H1B visa holder left US for 3 years?
    I was a F-1/H1-B visa holder stayed in the US during 1995 to 2005. I left US for good at the beginning of 2005 and paid taxes up to 2004. I left my checking and saving accounts open there for various of purposes, with about 1,500 USD in it. On Oct. 2008, I found all the money were withdrawn under Tax Levy. What does it mean? Does that mean the IRS thought I should pay taxes and withdrawn all my money? Do I deserve that?

    Any help is very much appreciated.

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Nov 28, 2008, 10:51 AM
    A tax levy means the IRS thought you owed additional taxes, tried to contact you about it, was not successful, then identified your U.S. bank accounts as belonging to you.

    Once they waited the required time, they seized the assets in the bank.

    You can get those asset back if you contact the IRS and find out what the tax issue is all about, then resolve it to the IRS' satisfaction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can F-1 visa holder without earning be a dependent for H-1b visa holder husband? [ 10 Answers ]

I know that the question is kind of strange, but here is my situation. I am having H1b visa at present (moved from OPT to H1b last September). My wife is a student with F1 student visa (in Illinois Urbana Champaign). But she has completed her residential requirement and since last year has been...

Apply for US Visit Visa while a valid L1 Visa [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I need to visit US to meet my relative. I have 3 year valid L1 visa. Is it possible to get a US Visit Visa with out canceling the L1 Visa? Please advice

Can my wife apply for a visa different from the Dependent visa she got? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm French, I married a girl from west Africa and I brought her to the UK.We have been together for 2years. But now I can't support her anymore. She aborted twice; she refused to give me a child because she said she is not ready. She's always insulting me comparing her exes to me.I stop the...

H1B visa holder claiming a Dependent who is on H4 visa? [ 2 Answers ]

I am on H1B visa and my wife is on H4 visa. Can I claim her as a Dependent while filing for the tax return. Do I have to apply for ITIN? Please explain the procedure. Thanks

View more questions Search