Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    zannaclay's Avatar
    zannaclay Posts: 7, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 9, 2013, 02:23 PM
    Does returning as a tourist affect the Tax Treaty Exemption?
    I am a UK citizen working on a J1 Scholar Visa in the US. I am currently under the UK-US Tax Treaty to be exempt from taxes as long as do not stay longer than 2 years in the USA. I would like to know whether this Exemption rule would be invalidated if, after having left the USA, I then returned to the USA on a tourist visa, on holiday? I/e/ would re-entering as a tourist influence the 'retroactive loss' rule of over-staying the 2 years? I think not but any advise or experience greatly appreciated!

    Many thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,818, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 9, 2013, 07:13 PM
    You have nothing to worry about if you return on a tourist visa and make no attempt to earn any income while in the United States.

    You would only have problems if you returned on a work visa, like E-1 or H-1 or H-1B.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax and penalty exemption while withdrawing 401k through India-US tax treaty [ 11 Answers ]

As context, we resided in the United States from 2000 to 2009. Currently, we are Indian residents and Indian citizens (U.S. non-resident aliens). Through 4-5 years of employment in the US, we have a 401(k) account held in the U.S. (earned during years of employment and residency within the U.S.)....

Russian F-1 Student. Federal Tax Exemption based on the US-Russia Tax Treaty? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a Russian graduate student who was in US on an F-1 visa since 2005. In 2005 I had a fellowship, later in 2006 I became a Graduate Student Researcher (research assistant). That paid my tuition and a monthly stipend. SHORT VERSION: For years 2006, 2007 I claimed full refund of...

Tax exemption Treaty [ 1 Answers ]

My wife is an Italian Professor. She entered in USA on July 2006 with a J2 VISA. She left USA on October 2006. On July 2008 she entered USA with a J2 VISA. She changed her VISA in J1 on January 2008. She started to work in a USA University on January 2008. I ask: She is eligible for Tax...

India tax treaty exemption on California state tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was a full time employee from working on OPT from 01/01/07 to 09/30/07 and then was on H1-B status from 10/01/07 to 12/31/07. I am filing my 1040 nr for federal and would like to know answers to following questions: 1. what is the india tax treaty exemption for 2007 2. Is the standard...

Forms for returning US-India Tax treaty benefit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I came to US in 2004 December as a researcher and signed for US-India tax exemption treaty, and have taken the full benefit for 2004 and 2005. However, I overstayed and now would like to return the benefit taken. Please let me know which form should I use to pay back the tax benefit.

View more questions Search