I am a born citizen, but my husband is not. He has know SS #. I was told we could apply for a ITIN number for him. He has not worked this year due to a bad car accident and I need to claim him on my taxes because we are in the process of getting his green card and a tax return helps prove marriage. We have 2 children. My question is I know people who use the ITIN number do not qaulify for the EIC, but will I if I put him on my taxes? Should I claime him as a dependent or file jointley even though he has know income. Also can I apply for his ITIN number ahead of time? Thank you.