Hi experts,
I am on H1 and filing for taxes first time for year 2008. I got married in Sep, 2008 and brought my wife to USA. So now I am filling the taxes jointly with my wife.
But my wife is currently not in USA. So my question is
- Do I need to get an SSN rejection letter to file for her ITIN?
If Yes, then how do I get that as she is not in USA right now and SSA office doesn't accept notarized copies of passport?

Thanks in advance,