I am a student on an F-1 visa from india. I earned around $3000 in the 2004 calendar year. I will file for my Federal Tax returns, but do I need to file for my State tax too?

I live in New York City, but my income was under the $7500 quota for a single individual.

It is my understanding that I don't need to file for state tax as my state (and federal) income was less than $7500. Am I right?

Thanks a million,