Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    DanPatrick10's Avatar
    DanPatrick10 Posts: 132, Reputation: 5
    Junior Member

    Apr 5, 2022, 04:25 PM
    Do I Need to File an Amended Tax Return?
    I already filed my taxes for 2021 with Turbo Tax and received my return. Then I noticed I received a 1098-T from my college in my email. It says over $4,000 was received for tuition and related expenses and over $5,000 in scholarships. However, I'm on the Veteran's Readiness and Employment program from the Dept. of Veteran's Affairs, so as a Vet under that program I was almost sure any grants or scholarships would be tax free under that program. I'm not claiming education credits either, so are the scholarships taxable and do I need to file a 1040-X? Would prefer answers from tax experts.

    I talked to someone at my school's Financial Aid Office and the office of Military Benefits and they weren't sure. So, I called Turbo Tax and got some young girl on the phone. She said I didn't need to file an amendment, but she didn't sound to sure. In fact, everyone I get on the phone there sounds very young and inexperienced.

    I apologize for the double post. There was a glitch on my end.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,834, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Apr 5, 2022, 04:41 PM

    If the scholarship listed on the Form 1098-T are veteran or G.I. Bill benefits, then they are tax free and thus NO amendment is required.

    However, for virtually any other scholarship whose benefits exceed the tuition, the excess IS considered to be taxable income.

    Now, if you had OTHER income which caused you to exceed the $12,550 standard deduction, then an amendment IS in order.

    If the scholarship and the other income combined was LESS than $14,550, then do not bother.

    DanPatrick10's Avatar
    DanPatrick10 Posts: 132, Reputation: 5
    Junior Member

    May 7, 2022, 12:05 PM
    Just wanted to say thank you for your reply. I was having login issues and couldn't do that until now.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,834, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    May 7, 2022, 01:39 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I file an amended Ohio tax return for wrong w2 information? [ 1 Answers ]

I e-filed my Ohio state taxes and the federal adjusted gross income from my federal return which is what my taxes are figured from is the right amount. I have multiple w2's to add up to that gross amount. When listing each w2 separately, I wrote a wrong number on one of them which makes the 3 add...

ITIN Rejected and now want to file amended return. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B for past 3 years and got married last September 2007 and my wife is on H4. She did not have ITIN when I filed for return in April 2008 and had to file as Single and could not claim her as dependent (as advised by my Tax Consultant). I filed ITIN for my wife and yesterday I...

Should I file amended return, or not? [ 2 Answers ]

Last year, on my taxes I screwed up BIG TIME, and filed my unearned income (unemployment), quite by accident, under my home based, cash-earned income. I subsequently received a letter stating that as a result of this I now owed them 1800$. I lost my 20 year old son right before I got that letter,...

File Amended Tax return [ 1 Answers ]

I e-filed 1040EZ instead of 1040NR. I later found out that the efiling service I used does not have 1040 NR. Can I efile 1040X and 1040NR through another site? Is it possible to mail in the amended forms, or should I efile it because I efiled 1040EZ? Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search