Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    lkh8481's Avatar
    lkh8481 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2
    New Member

    Nov 25, 2010, 03:48 PM
    Determine the amount active business income eligible for the small business deduction
    You, a tax professional working at a local accounting firm, have just received a request from Terry, an assurance partner in the office, asking you to prepare a memorandum to one of his client tax files. He would like you to determine the amount of active business income eligible for the small business deduction his corporate client is entitled to claim on its T2 Corporation Income Tax Return for the year ended December 31, 2010.

    Terry is working on the T2 Corporation Income Tax Return for Regina Capital Inc. (RCI). RCI is owned 100% by Ryan Kiefer. RCI is in the construction business and has a December 31st year-end. All of its assets are used in this business except for its investment in two partnership:

    1) Constructor One Partnership which is also in the construction business and generates active business income for the year ended December 31, 2010 of $ 300000. RCI's share of the partnership income is 40% with the remaining 60% allocated to Holdco One Inc. an arm's length party.
    2) Rental Two Partnership carries on a rental business. It has developed, and currently owns, over 20 separate rental properties. For the partnership year ended December 31, 2010 the partnership earned rental income of $425000 before claiming capital cost allowance of $ 325000. RCI owns 50% of Rental Two Partnership and the remaining 50% is allocated to Investco Two Ltd. also an arm's length party. The partnership interest is Investco Two Ltd.'s only asset. Rental Two Partnership has employed seven full-time employees in its rental operations for the entire year ending December 31, 2010.

    RCI's income from carrying on its own active business for the year ended December 31, 2010 is $130000.

    Determine the amount of RCI's active business income eligible for the small business deduction for the year ended December 31, 2010 and prepare a memorandum to the tax file as requested.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Nov 27, 2010, 08:44 AM
    This is a school assignment, which I will NOT answer because it defeats the purpose of going to school, which is to learn!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to prepare a small business profile, or format of small business profile [ 3 Answers ]

Please help me to prepare a business profile letter Thanks Kevin

SOL on a Business to Business Small Claims Court [ 6 Answers ]

Our case is that we purchase of a software "PICK" 3 user licence, Oct 1 st 1997. It did not come to our attention that it was illegal till March 2007. We ended up filling a Small Claims court suit for $10,000 for our money back. Today the jugde refused our claim saying SOL had expired,...

Canadian Income Tax - leasing and small business [ 6 Answers ]

I need help understanding lease write off and how it will affects my tax return. Example: I earn $50,000 per yr in my career and have a small business (sole proprietorship) that I earn $2,000 per yr. If I lease a vehicle under my business that costs me $1000 per month I understand I can write...

Looking for small town business-to-business service need I'm qualified for [ 5 Answers ]

I hope someone out there can help! Some entrepreneur who's already made this discovery and who can hep me do similar. Seems everything I can think of nobody would pay any $ for me to do. I am 7 yr stay at home MOM w/ 2 kids now just both in school and I really need to find work I can do to...

View more questions Search