Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    JosephC's Avatar
    JosephC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 21, 2007, 09:33 AM
    Date for filing First Year Choice tax returns

    I am working on a L1 visa here arrived here in July 07. My wife and kid are currently back in India and would be joining me here only by mid-may 2008. For the year 2007, if I file returns jointly with my wife I would be able to claim both of them as dependents. However, by what date would I be allowed to file the First Year Choice tax returns since she is due to be here only my mid-may and the last date for filing taxes is April 15th 2008.

    Do I have to fill in any form asking for an extension of the tax return filing date?

    Again, my wife is a housewife back in India so there is no income from her side, so apart from my US income is there anything else that comes under the scope of 'world-wide income'.

    Also, can I apply for the ITIN for them after they arrive here in May 2008 and use that number for filing the 2007 tax returns or can I file for their ITIN now? If yes, what documents do I need now for filing for the ITIN.


    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,818, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Nov 22, 2007, 10:19 AM
    The 15 April 08 deadline is a real artificial deadline. If you owe taxes, you can file an extension with a payment to extend the deadline to 15 Oct 08, but the ACTUAL deadline to file an claim your refund is 15 April 2011.

    The extension form is Form 4868.

    Under First Year Choice, the EARLIEST you could file is mid-May 2008 anyway, so file the extension, wait for your wife, then file once she gets here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L1 visa, filing tax returns for dependents, self [ 2 Answers ]

I was on L1 visa work permit in US, Foreign National from Jan 2006 - Mar 2006 and Jun 2006 - Sep 2006. My wife and my kid stayed with me for the entire period. She was on L2 visa. I have received my W2, and would like to know few things related to tax return 1) Was my wife eligible to apply...

Filing tax returns for 2 states - Please help [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all I worked for 2 months in 2006 in IL. I was then employed by an employer in KS for 10 months and the employer paid KS taxes. I lived in IL during this time. How do I file this tax return? Does it matter that I've lived in IL while paying KS taxes? Thanks!

Complicated state tax filing between NY and NJ and missed filing from last year [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am really confused and would appreciate some feedback into how I should proceed with my taxes. My background: I am a non-resident alien, Canadian citizen who is a masters student studying and residing in NJ. During 2006, I worked on campus for a few months and receieved a W2 for...

L1/L2 Filing tax returns [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US on March 6th 2006 on a H-1 visa. On Sep 1st 2006 my wife joined from on a H-4B dependent visa. I am staying and working in New Jersey state since the day I came to US in 2006. I have never been to US in the year 2004 and 2005. On Oct 2006 my visa L-1 petition got approved...

Filing tax returns online [ 1 Answers ]

I am thinking of filing my taxes this year with Has anyone used them and any good or bad comments about them. Thanks, jrpr

View more questions Search