Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    ashtev's Avatar
    ashtev Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 7, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Complicated state tax filing between NY and NJ and missed filing from last year
    Hi everyone,
    I am really confused and would appreciate some feedback into how I should proceed with my taxes.

    My background:
    I am a non-resident alien, Canadian citizen who is a masters student studying and residing in NJ. During 2006, I worked on campus for a few months and receieved a W2 for that period. Afterwards over summer I took up a position as an independent contractor in NYC. I was issued a 1099 MISC.

    My problem:
    I used CINTAX to file my federal returns and they seem to be in order. However, I'm having a bit of difficulty wrapping my head round the state taxes. These are my specific problems:

    1) I filed my NJ state taxes electronically through NJ WebFile - Redirect. However, I came to know that I should have filed my non resident NY taxes ( IT 203) first before filing NJ. What should I do now?

    2) Since my W2 was from NJ and my 1099 Misc from NY, I am confused over whether I should declare my NJ income on my NY state taxes. Should I just declare my 1099 Misc amount on my IT 203 and declare both NY and NJ income for my NJ filing?

    3) During last year's tax filing season I did not have any income to report and so I mistakenly assumed that I did not have to file taxes. I recently found out that I have to file the Form 8843 alone if you don't have income. Can I file Form 8843 for 2005 now?

    4) I received a 1099 Misc. form with $8904 in box # 7. I used CINTAX and it shows that I owe $467.12 in taxes. This amount seems high, particularly when al my friends are getting refunds. Could I possibly have made a mistake?

    American taxes seem very complicated, I would appreciate it if someone could help me.

    Thank you!
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Mar 8, 2007, 03:43 PM
    We have communicated by email and have resolved this issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier. Period of Visit: March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ August 2006 Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ My company paid the salary...

Filing state tax online [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have applied for ITIN for my sopuse and daughter and along with that I have filed federal tax(form 1040) and mailed it to IRS Austin address which was mentioned in the W7 form. 1) My question is can I file the state return online once I get the ITIN nos of my spouse and daughter? 2) If above...

Multiple State Tax filing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I work for on H1B visa for a software consulting firm that is based Texas. They run the payroll in Texas and withhold Federal Tax but no state tax. I was contracted to work for a client that has offices in 2 states where I worked in the following order for year 2006: 1. Worked in...

Filing State Tax (NY or NJ) [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Sir, I have been consulting for the past 3 years and have worked in Michigan, NJ and NY. My company who sponsors my H-1 B visa is based in NJ and have been deducting NJ taxes from my paychecks. For the past 2 years (April 2005-Present),I have been living in NY state and have been working...

NY State tax filing living in NJ [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I stayed in NJ for the whole of year 2005. I received income for December 2005 from Hawthorne, NY. It is below 7,500$. I have enclosed both nj and ny w2 for federal taxes and filed NJ state tax as well. Do I have to file for NY state taxes too? Thanks, Diwakar By the way, my w2...

View more questions Search