Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    aileen910's Avatar
    aileen910 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 5, 2008, 10:03 AM
    College student w/o w-2 but can I file tax to get college tuition credits back?
    Hi, I am a college student with no job income(no W-2 form) but do have few dollars of interest earned from saving account(1099-INT form). I know I do not have to file tax return since the income is extremely low. But I heard if I file tax return then I can get few hundreds of college tuition credits back since I paid almost $25000 for my tuition last year. I paid out of my own ocket, not from my parents or others. I live in New York City and I do not know if it makes any difference. Thanks so much for any input!
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Apr 5, 2008, 11:13 AM
    Tution and Fees deduction up to $4,000 (for 2007) is allowed as adjustment to the income (on line 34 of Form 1040). But since you don't have taxable income, this adjustment is of no use to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex not paying college tuition? [ 3 Answers ]

Can my ex refuse to pay for our son's college tuition even though it is in the divorce that we each pay 50%? He says he doesn't have the money and probably can't get a loan due to negative equity on his house... Is it worth it to take him to court?

We are co-signers for college age daughter's student loan - tax credit? [ 1 Answers ]

Our daughter goes to school out of state. Part of her tuition is paid through scholarships, part is through federal student loans (through FAFSA) and part is through a bank collegiate loan in her name co-signed by us. She doesn't have any income. Can we claim this on our joint return or does...

Credit for work experience and college credits [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have received associates degree, taken masters level courses and received numerous amounts of professional training considered as credit hours. Is there anyplace that is accredited and/or recognized that can equivilate this to a degree for me? Thanks, Jamie

What college credits [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a high school student planning on going pseo(post-secondary enrollment options) and I want to know what college credits I should go for.

Home schooled: credits for college? [ 3 Answers ]

Im homeschooled, this is my senior year, I would like to know how I can obtain credits for Collage, does anyone know anything about it? If you do please can you help me with some information please?

View more questions Search