Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    rlusanta's Avatar
    rlusanta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 6, 2008, 10:23 AM
    Claiming children who lives in the philippines as dependents?
    Hi, I just want to ask if its possible to claim my 2 kids as dependents even if they are currently living in the philippines. They haven't been in the states yet and there was no plan for them to come here anytime soon. But I'm sure I can get them an ITIN since they already have visas.
    They live with my parents there and I am the only ones supporting them.
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674

    Mar 7, 2008, 04:08 AM
    I think they have to be living with you as dependents. You have to be supporting them while they are under your roof.
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Mar 7, 2008, 04:35 AM
    If you are eligible to file resident tax return and your kids live with you or your spouse even in a foreign country, then you can claim them dependents.
    If your kids are living in Philippines with your parents (and not with your spouse), then you can't claim them dependents.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Illegally claiming dependents [ 1 Answers ]

I just filed my 07 taxes and was notified that someone else had claimed one of my children. What should I do?:mad:

Claiming non-custodial dependents on taxes [ 4 Answers ]

My 5 year old daughter and I live with my boyfriend and have so since June of last year. I have full custody of her and we have just had a baby 2 weeks ago. During my pregnancy last year there were a few months where I was unable to work and when I did finally find a suitable job for my condition I...

Claiming dependents in Georgia [ 3 Answers ]

What are the rules according to Georgia laws about claiming more that 1 dependent on your taxes? Is it true that there can only be no more than 2 dependents?

Claiming a grandchild that lives with you or does father that lives elsewhere? [ 6 Answers ]

My 18 year old daughter lives with me full time, is full time high school student, has had a baby 12/5/07 and the baby also lives with me. I do claim my daughter as a dependent. The baby is covered by his fathers insurance. Who claims the baby as a dependent on their taxes, the father or myself?

Claiming Dependents on Taxes [ 3 Answers ]

If I share joint custody of my daughter but I am her custodial parent, my ex husband payes $110.00 in child support weekly which also includes back support, 38% of childcare cost and 38% of any uncovered medical expenses then I am left with the balance. He has visitation rights on Wednesday's,...

View more questions Search