Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    micky_577's Avatar
    micky_577 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 3, 2008, 10:29 AM
    Claim expenses on 1099-Misc
    I am student on F1 visa from india. I have received 1099-Misc with income reported in block 7 of 1099-Misc. I am regular employee of the company and get 1099-Misc income for unused PTO. I am filling 1040 NR and wondering how should I report this income and can claim some expenses to reduce taxable income.

    Any help would be appreciated.
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Jun 3, 2008, 05:21 PM
    If you have not completed 5-years on F1 and OPT you must file resident tax return. The 1099-misc income is reported on schedule C or C-EZ (form 1040). You can deduct your job related expenses. The net income on C or C-EZ is not subject to SE tax in your case.
    As per tax treaty, you will get standard deduction also. File Form 1040R and 8843.
    Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Treaties for Students and Apprentices

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can I claim on my moving expenses? [ 1 Answers ]

I've read a couple of the answers to this question already and I've kind of figured out that I can claim my moving expenses on my taxes. I just want to make sure what I can claim. I am currently overseas working for an American company and I recently accepted a position back in the U.S. The current...

H1b and 1099-Misc [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently on H1B working for a company in US. Now I think when you are on H1b you can only work on 40 hours a week and no more, at least on paper it should show that way. Is it OK if you work more than 40 hours a week for same company but they pay you for 40 hrs on your paycheck and...

H1B with W2 can Claim Job Expenses [ 1 Answers ]

I am on H1B visa and on getting W2. But working as consultant to the Client. Can I claim job related expenses like my rental, internet and daily commute charges while filing tax.

1099-Misc [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I received both W2 and 1099-Misc forms from two different employers I am using Taxengine online software, and the question is where to report the 1099-Misc income: Schedule C ? Schedule E ? Schedule F ? Form 4835 ? Form 1040, line 21 ?

1099-misc [ 1 Answers ]

I received an 1099-misc form, from a business I did some work for. I live and worked in Minnesota. I received $4,250 in box 7, no taxes withheld. I claimed it as other income when I filed my taxes electronically line 21 of 1040. I just entered it on the program and it calculated and e-filed for...

View more questions Search