Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    pharmagoddess's Avatar
    pharmagoddess Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 12, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Citizen married 01/07 to former H1-B, now Green Card holder. 1040?
    Hi – really straightforward question from a newbie. I am a US citizen (born here). Got married in 01/07 (our first anniversary is Sunday!). My husband was a H1-B holder at the time of our marriage. He had been in the US for 9 years (grad school + 5+ years of an H1-B). Never left the country. We petitioned for change in status. Got an interview very quickly. He received his conditional permanent resident (Green Card) in June 2007. So, correct tax form?? I assume that we will file form 1040, “married filing jointly”. Correct? Is there anything about his H1-B status at the start of the year that would prelude us from filing form 1040? Both of us have pretty standard jobs with pretty standard retirement investments. I’ve always done my own taxes on Turbotax because I prefer doing my taxes myself. Anything else I need to know?
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 12, 2008, 06:12 PM
    Filing status is probably Married Filing Jointly, and likely the Form will be Form 1040.

    Just file using TurboTax. You have NO special reporting requirements.
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Jan 13, 2008, 03:46 AM
    Your husband is also resident of the U.S. So you can file only as Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately using resident tax return Form 1040.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 13, 2008, 10:54 AM
    Visa Taxes Expert's Avatar
    Visa Taxes Expert Posts: 40, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member

    Jan 13, 2008, 12:09 PM
    peanut2010's Avatar
    peanut2010 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Sep 22, 2009, 03:53 PM

    I am an US citizen I just recently married my husband who is from Laos but came to america when he was 4 years old he currently has held a green card and stated that he has held permanent residence. We are attempting to travel to mexico for our honeymoon. What would be the process or the next step in order for us to make this happen? Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Sep 23, 2009, 09:18 AM
    This is NOT a tax question, but rather a legal question best posted in the LAW forum.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married to US citizen [ 3 Answers ]

I have unusual case. Currently I am: 1. Under deportation proceeding 2. Married to US citizen 3. Have an approved I-130 4. Have sent an I-485 change of status along with I-765 (work permit) 5. Have done fingerprinting for work permit. 6. Have filed for termination of deportation...

What happens if you married for a green card [ 6 Answers ]

My friend has married a russian so he can stay in the usa and now she wants to get out of it how would she go about doing that?

Green card holder travelling [ 1 Answers ]

I am an Australian living in USA. I am also a green card holder. I want to travel to Vietnam by the end of this year. Should I use my Australian Passport or I have to use my green card with re-entry permit ? Thank you for your answer.

H1, married, wife abroad; now both in the US w/green card [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I had H1 and got married in July 2005. My wife remained abroad. I filed my taxes as "single" in 2005. I and my wife entered US in Jan 19,2007 with green card. (we were approved for permanent status on 1/9/07) . Can I file my taxes for 2006 as married-joint, even though I had H-1 and my wife...

Married to an US citizen - How do I become a citizen myself [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Experts: I married a US citizen, and I want to become a US citizen myself. We both don't live in the US at the moment and are not planning on living there either. Is that possible? What do I have to do and where can I find information about this? Thanks so much! Kiesel

View more questions Search