Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    alekhya_n's Avatar
    alekhya_n Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 11, 2014, 07:59 PM
    Changed visa status mid-year. Which status to file under?
    Went from F1 to H1b on July1st 2013. I do not meet the substantial presence test as I arrived in the US in Aug 2010 on an F-1 and have filed as a non-resident for 2010, 2011 and 2012.

    In 2013, I was outside the country for 11 days (6 days in F1 status at the beginning of the year and 5 days in H1b status at the end of the year.)

    What status should I claim on the tax paperwork? F1 or H1?

    I read about the dual status filing and that I can file for half year as non resident and the other half as resident. Is this better to do? Or can I file for the whole year as non-resident and just enter F-1 as the visa status? In this case can I claim the standard deduction for the whole year?

    Please help. Extremely confused on how to file.

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,818, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Mar 11, 2014, 08:33 PM
    Do NOT file dual-status, as there is almost NEVER any tax advantage.

    If you are married, file a JOINT return and file as a resident.

    If you are single, file as a non-resident alien. You will get the same refund as a dual-status and you do NOT have to wait to file.

    If you need professional help, email me at the email address in my profile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband visa status changed from h4 - h1.. Has ssn.. How to file? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband entered Usa in July 2012 as dependent but got his work visa in November 2012... Can I still file him as dependent under my tax returns? Also he has a ssn currently... So can I still get an ITIN number... I am confused, please help

How do I file since my visa status changed from J1 to H1b? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I was a J1 Hotelmanagement trainee from March 2009 until September 2010. For 2009 I got a full tax return (there had only been federal income tax withheld, no social security or medicare tax). In 2010 however my J1 visa ended in September and I returned on an H1b visa in December 2010. The...

Can my visa status be changed from F1 to H1 because of. [ 1 Answers ]

Can my visa status be changed from F1 to H1 because of... Currently I am on F1/OPT and it will expire on march. My son is born and he is now USA citizen. Can I change my current F1/OPT to H1 or some other category. I have done masters in information technology and currently I am not emplyeed...

Status changed from f1 to h1 middle of year. Which form to file [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in the US from 2005 as F1. Last year on Oct1 my status changed to H1. I have been filing the 1040NR form for the last 2 years. This year I went to a tax consultant who suggested that I should file 1040 form. Is this the right form to use? Kindly advise.

What Status should I file tax since my status changed from F1 to H1 from Oct 23 2006! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have the following questions about filing for taxes for the yr 2006. 1. Since my visa status changed from F1 to H1 on oct 23rd 2006, what status should I file the taxes as & which form should I use? Till now I have used 1040nr ez! FYI : I am frm India, I have not left US from...

View more questions Search