Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    lcerqueira's Avatar
    lcerqueira Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 3, 2009, 09:27 PM
    Cash Transfer from Foreign Country to the US
    I am a non-us Citizen with a L1 visa working in the US. In July 2008 I sent from overseas an amount of over $10,000 using a wire transaction (from one of the major US banks). I used the money to buy a house in the US and did not have any revenue from interest. As I was reading some similar cases, I am now confused and am not sure if it is mandatory for me to report the transaction to a US agency. I have a few questions:
    (1) Do I have to fill any kind of form reporting this transaction even though I brought the cash using a wire transaction from a major US bank?
    (2) Do I have to pay any taxes for this transfer?
    (3) Do I have to report in my tax refunds report in 2009?

    Thanks in advance for your help.
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Feb 3, 2009, 11:30 PM

    1. No
    2. No
    3. No

    This is your filing requirement: United States Treasury Regulation 31 CFR 103 require that every United States person file this form TD F 90-22.1 if at any time during 2008, you have an interest in or a signature or other authority over a financial account in a foreign country, such as a bank account, securities account, or other financial account and the total amount at any time in the year was $10,000 or more. Read

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fund transfer to a foreign country [ 2 Answers ]

I heard that if one transfers a fund over $10,000 to a foreign country, a bank has to report it to the government. Is it $10,000 per transaction or $10,000 per year?

Tax on remuneration in a foreign country [ 1 Answers ]

Iam a government doctor employed in a teaching hospital in lucknow from where I draw my salary. Presently, I have been invited by a university in France as a teaching researcher on contract for conducting some research work for a period of 4 months. During this period I will receive salary in india...

US Employer in A foreign Country [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you in advance for responding to my 2 questions. Currently I am living and employed by a US firm in UAE the company which is currently withholding taxes I have not worked for my employer in the states only in UAE. Does the company have to withhold taxes? Also, the company just recently...

Inheritance From Foreign Country [ 1 Answers ]

Long, lost family member died in 2002 in Malaysia. I am sole surviving heir. After paying for services rendered in Malaysia for transferring the estate to me, my net gain expected to be $1.4MM. Since only $1MM is excluded from inheritance or income taxes on deaths occurring in 2002, what...

View more questions Search