Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    tableclocks's Avatar
    tableclocks Posts: 403, Reputation: 2
    Full Member

    Feb 17, 2019, 12:00 PM
    Capital gains
    Fidelity reporting statement shows box 2a total cap gains, 6429.00
    I have realized gaines of 2656.00 from sales, these are not called cap gaines?
    And they get reported in different areas I see?
    Thank you
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,784, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Feb 17, 2019, 12:10 PM
    Box 2a on a Form 1099-DIV or consolidated Form 1099-B is "Total Capital Gains Distributed".

    This is the mutual fund shareholder's portion of the capital gains from the sale of stocks by the mutual fund. It is reported on Schedule D and taxed at long-term capital gains tax rates.
    ebaines's Avatar
    ebaines Posts: 12,132, Reputation: 1307

    Feb 17, 2019, 02:00 PM
    Just to add to what ATE said: in addition to cap gains that the fund reports on 1099-DIV due to sales of individual shares of stocks or bonds in the mutual fund portfolio, any sales of fund shares that you made are reported on 1099-B.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,784, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Feb 17, 2019, 02:22 PM
    ebaines added an important detail that I forgot

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can short term capital loss offset long term capital gains/ [ 0 Answers ]

I have both short term and long term capital loss carryover, and have recently incurred a substantial long term capital gain. Can I use both the carryovers to offset the long term gain, or only the long term loss carryover? Can carryover capital losses be offset only against the same type (long...

Can short term capital losses offset long term capital gains in the same tax year? [ 1 Answers ]

A friend sold some investment real property this year and had a large long term capital gain. He invested the proceeds in the market and the values are down. If he sells the investments now he will have some short term capital losses. Can he use the STCL to offset the LTCG? He also paid...

Capital gains [ 1 Answers ]

my 2 brothers and I inherited a house in1994, valued at 240,000. One brother is buying us other 2 out. It is now valued at 310,000. How much , if any capital gains tax will I owe?

View more questions Search