Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    tmlhh97's Avatar
    tmlhh97 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Sep 13, 2005, 07:49 PM
    Capital Gains
    I'm in the process of selling my house and land which currently is in three different tax bills. I went through a divorce last year and one of my questions can I use the appraisal price that was used for me to own the house and land? Two pieces were combined as it was questionable if the sewer was on a different piece than the house and has approximately six acres. The third piece is 31 acres of land that was used to make hay or the horses grazed on it. All three pieces are connected. I would like to sell the house with ten acres and the 27 acres by itself. The house is being listed at $174,900 and the land at $2,500/acre. Any ideas if I will have to pay capital gains tax? How much? Any suggestions? Thanks!
    RickJ's Avatar
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

    Sep 14, 2005, 02:54 AM
    Based on my experience of 7 sales, I do believe that Capital Gains have nothing to do with appraisals.

    Unless I am misunderstanding something about your situation, to figure your capital gain, from your sale price, you deduct:
    Closing costs,
    Original purchase price, and
    Any capital improvements.

    The end number is your capital gain (unless you are using it to buy another home).
    tmlhh97's Avatar
    tmlhh97 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Sep 14, 2005, 12:08 PM
    The price I paid to retain the house in the divorce is the price of the appraisal so I just want to make sure that is the price I would use? The other question I have is taking the three separate parcels of land and selling in as two, can I avoid paying any Capital Gains tax. All the three pieces are connected and have been used and if I interpret the Publication 523 correctly on page 3 under Main home under vacant land I should be OK.
    RickJ's Avatar
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

    Sep 15, 2005, 03:19 AM
    I understand the question now more fully and, frankly, just do not know.

    Because there are two tricky issues that may affect your Capital Gain, I would definitely consult a local Accountant.

    I'm sorry I couldn't help :o

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Capital Gains Tax [ 4 Answers ]

In Sept 1999 I sold a piece of property. I did a 1031 exchange for a new piece of property that cost 299000.00. My basis in that exchange was 29000.00. In April 2006 I sold that piece of property. After closing costs and realtor costs the net profit was $512,000.00. Improvement costs, repair...

Capital gains tax from buy-out [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to know how to calculate the capital gains taxes I will owe. I was recently bought out from a commercial property I was part owner of (50%). My father purchased the land in 1989 for $361,000 and in 1994 he quit claimed it to me and my two sisters, so I owned 1/3 of the property....

Capital gains and losses [ 3 Answers ]

I have had a loss on the sale of stock. I understand I can only claim 3000 per year. Does this mean I can deduct the entire 3000.00 or is it a percentage of the 3000.00? By the way this is a long term loss.

Inheritance and capital gains tax [ 3 Answers ]

My mother has suddenly changed her mind and decided to leave the house to the granddaughter. She bought her house in California for $8,900 in 1950. It has been paid off for 25 years. Value is now at $550,000 My question is can my neice just move in and keep the house without selling? Are there...

View more questions Search