Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    ConfusedOnTax's Avatar
    ConfusedOnTax Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Sep 23, 2007, 05:19 PM
    Capital gain tax - home sale and purchase
    I am a permanent resident in USA for last 5 years. I sold my home in India in May end this year, and purchasing a home in USA by October end for much larger amount. Do I get any relief in INDIA from capital gain tax?
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Sep 25, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Cannot say; no expertse on India taxes.

    However, you MUST claim that capital gain on your U.S. tax return. If you also must pay capital gains tax to India, you will be able to claim a credit for that tax p[aid using Form 1116.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax rate on sale of home [ 3 Answers ]

If I sell a my home within two years of purchase and can't use the exclusion clause, and if I am in the minimum tax bracket, what will be the capital gains tax rate charge for sale of my home? Thanks

Home sale - capital gains tax? [ 2 Answers ]

I am selling my home in NYS and will have a gain within the exclusion amount of $250,000. I was the owner listed on the title even though the property was owned by myself and my mother. (I did this because I applied for the loan by myself.) She provided the down payment and we both paid the...

Capital Gain Tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have purchased a defaulted home as an investment property. I have renovated the home & now I am planning to sell it. I never used that home for my residence purpose. I know that property held for more than one year will be taxed as long term property. I want to know, how the holding...

Tax on Long term capital gain [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Please update me on the latest tax rates when it comes to Short term & Long term capital gains from equity investments. Any information will be highly appreciated Thanks Gaurav

Capital Gain Tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I am new to this forum and have a question about Capital gain tax I inherited a comercial property from my father in 1998. At the time of probate the property was valued at $150,000.00 I Have just accepted an offer to sell for $110,000.00 Do I owe Capital Gain Taxes?

View more questions Search