Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    thamizha's Avatar
    thamizha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Oct 15, 2006, 06:24 AM
    Can I get paid social security taxes back after leaving the US?
    Hello all,

    A silly question for which I could find no correct answer.

    I used to study in the US on an F-1 Visa. Then I got a job and converted to an H-1B visa. Worked for three years and paid taxes. Then converted back to F-1 to finish my MBA and then left the US to come to India.

    So - the situation that arose is that my old landlord told me I have a letter from the Social Security administration - a "know your SS status" thing which says that I have accumulated about 15,000$ in SS benefits. Neat - Can I do anything with this?

    I have left the US and don't plan on returning as an emigrant. Is there any way I can "surrender" my Social security number and perhaps get back the social security money I'm owed?

    Regards & thanks for your help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Oct 15, 2006, 04:22 PM
    Negative. Taxes paid into Social Security and Medicare while on H-1B status are forfeited if you do not accumulated credits for 40 quarters (ten years) of work.
    markturley's Avatar
    markturley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 4, 2012, 08:11 AM
    What if I did work for 10 yearson an H1B?
    Can I get it back then?
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jul 4, 2012, 01:42 PM
    No, you still cannot get it back, but you DO qualify for benefits when you turn 62.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taking back taxes when leaving USA. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am here in the USA for three months only and I bought a laptop. I understood that when I leave I may have the tax that I paid for that laptop back. I live in California now if that is important. Is that true and if yes how can I do that? Thank you! Anton

Social Security Taxes - OPT - H1 [ 1 Answers ]

I am Indian Student on F1-OPT till December 18,2006 while my H1 starts on Oct 1,2006. I am not paying any social security taxes. The question I have is do I need to start paying the social security taxes from oct 1 onward or can I continue till Dec 18,2006 without paying social security and after...

Social security and medicare taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am on H1B. My payroll dept forgot to deduct my social and medicare taxes from my paycheck AND it continued to deduct taxes as per F1. So do I need to pay my medicare and social now with 2005 tax returns? If yes How should I pay those taxes, which forms should I use? Thanks

Social Security Refund when leaving USA [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in the US. For 3 years under H1-B visa and I returned to my home country in 2005. Long time ago, I heard that in this case, social security tax and medicare tax can be refunded. Is that true? How can I claim for the refund? And is there anything else I can claim for in this case? Thank you.

Can I claim back FICA taxes paid? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been working with an H-1B visa. I'm going back home in April 2006 and I am not intend to come back to the US to work. Can I claim back the Social Security and Medicare taxes I've paid?

View more questions Search