Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    g_kundarap's Avatar
    g_kundarap Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 24, 2008, 09:17 PM
    Can I claim my wife who is on a Tourist VISA as dependent?
    Hi all,

    I had a question regarding my Tax liability for 2007. I was in the US on a F1 VISA as a graduate student. My fiancée came down on a B1/B2 visa in Nov 2006. We got married in the US itself and then left the USA to come back to India in June 2007.

    Now after marriage I made changes in my W4 which enabled me to pay lower taxes as my wife was living with me in the US and was dependent on me. But now when its my turn to file taxes, I see that there is no way to claim my wife ( Non resident alien/ Tourist VISA ) as a dependent since I myself am a non resident alien ( F1 student VISA) .

    Or is there?:confused: Could anyone help me out with this? If there is no way out I shall have to pay a large sum to the IRS from here in India and the exchange rate will just kill me. :(

    Thanks !
    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Jan 25, 2008, 03:58 AM
    Normally, any one on F1 can claim only personal exemption. But as per tax treaty between India and the U.S. you can also claim standard deduction and exemption for your wife if she had no income in 2007.

    With your nonresident tax return, you will attach form W7 (ITIN application) to get tax ID for your spouse.
    You will also file form 8843, which is required from everyone of F1 visa.

    You may also be exempt from FICA taxes if you did not complete 5 years on F1.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 25, 2008, 08:06 AM
    MukatA has it right.

    If you file Form 1040NR, you CAN claim your wife as a dependent, which allows you to claim HER $3,400 personal exemption. She WILL need an ITIN, so the W-7 must be submitted with the return,

    Your standard deduction (authorized under the U.S.-India Tax Treaty) will remain at $5,350.
    g_kundarap's Avatar
    g_kundarap Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 26, 2008, 10:38 PM
    Thanks guys.

    I shall do so !
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 28, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tourist Visa ITIN/Dependent [ 14 Answers ]

Hi I am a resident alien living in US from the past 7 years. Filing Status: married & filing jointly with one kid. My Mother-in-law (from India) came to US on tourist visa (B2) in 2006 and lived with us for 7 months (210 days). She is not a US Citizen and as such does not have an SSN. She is...

Expired tourist visa [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I married and Brazil, she legally came to the USA on a tourist visa. We later married here in New York, but since then, her visa expired and now she is here illegally. What papers do I need so she can become a pernanment resident? Thank you

Dependent wife got a job in Nov 07 how to claim tax exepmtion? [ 3 Answers ]

I am on H1 (wokring full time) wife in H4 (since 2006 june). Wife converted fropm h4-h1. Started working from Nov 07. Last year I claimed her as dependent on my tax return. She will get her first pay check on dec312007. Does that mean I cannot claim her as dependent for the whole year of...

Tourist Visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have come to New Jersey, US on a B1/B2 Visa from India. I wanted to see Niagara Water Falls from Canada side and return Back to US. Is there any arrangement like Tourist Visa Stamping On port of landing. I would be staying for one night and return back. Would be looking for your...

View more questions Search