Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    vamsun's Avatar
    vamsun Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Sep 24, 2010, 11:51 PM
    Can I claim exempt from social security and medicare under student FICA Exemption?
    Hi there, I am currently on F-1 Visa. I am here in US since 2003 and have been on CPT and OPT before. I am a Indian citizen. Currently I am working on my CPT. Can I claim exempt from social security and medicare under student FICA Exemption?"
    wnhough's Avatar
    wnhough Posts: 200, Reputation: 12
    Full Member

    Sep 25, 2010, 02:18 AM
    QUOTE," I am here in US since 2003 and have been on CPT and OPT before."---- As an F1 student (including OPT or CPT period), you are exempt from residency requirement for 5-years and should file non-resident tax return Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ and 8843. During this period your income is not subject to FICA, I mean, Social Security and Medicare taxes. However, in some cases, even after staying more than five years as a F1 visa holder in the U.S. you are still able to claim your exemption from residency (and you do not pay FICA taxes) and file your non-resident tax return by providing sufficient facts on an attached statement to establish that you do not intend to reside permanently in the U.S.

    "Can I claim exempt from social security and medicare under student FICA Exemption?" "---U*nless the some cases apply to you,after you have completed your 5-years on F1 or OPT, your days in the U.S. count towards the Substantial Presence Test. Once you meet the SPT, you'll become a resident for tax purpose( uner the US Tax code, not under the US INS Rule), and must file resident tax return, 1040/1040AA/ 1040 EZ( if you don't calim your itemized deductions). Also, as a resident, your income is subject to FICA taxes. On your tax return, you will get either standard deduction or itemize your deductions. Suppose you are married, then you will file as Married Filing Jointly, MFJ, or Married Filing Separately, MFS. You can also claim exemption for your dependents. ALso, just like the regular U.S. citizens and residents, you must report both of your US source and worldwide income( if applicable) for the year when filing your tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 OPT - FICA Social Security & Medicare Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am sure this subject has been touched upon several times, but I'm still not certain. I am international holding F1 Visa and started working 3 months ago using OPT (Optional Practical Training). I came to study 3.5 years ago and just graduated in June this year. My questions are: ...

F 1 Student - Social Security and Medicare Exemption [ 1 Answers ]

My OPT will be affective as of Jun 07 to Jun 08, is it possible to ask the company that I will be working for not to deduct social security and medicare from my pay to avoid filing for a refund around tax time? If Yes, is there a website that I can find that states that because my company may...

How to file a claim for a medicare and social security refund for an f1 student [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering how to file a refund for a f1 student for medicare and social security. I keep on finding plenty of info for how the f1 students to file, but how does the employer do it? Thanks

Social security and medicare (FICA) [ 1 Answers ]

I have several question regarding my tax status and FICA responsibility. Here's my case -I was a student on F-1 visa until May 2006. -Started working on OPT (still F-1 visa) in May 2006. I was not paying FICA taxes during this time. - Received my H-1B visa in October but my company did not start...

Social security and medicare tax exemption [ 1 Answers ]

Tax Expert, My wife came to the U.S. on Aug. 26 2000, she thought she could be exempted from social security and medicare tax until Aug. 26, 2005, is that correct? Thanks a lot

View more questions Search