Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Lo-IQ's Avatar
    Lo-IQ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 4, 2009, 06:41 PM
    Can 1099-A be used on Form 982 or MUST it be 1099-C
    Please help! There are conflicting answers even within this forum. I have received a 1099-A for a home I foreclosed on in 2008. On my 1099-A Box 2: Principle Outstanding balance is less that Box 4: FMV. Here is what I would like clarity on please:

    1. How do I handle or What form do I use to file the 1099-A on my tax return?
    2. How do I determine the capital gain/loss?
    3. Can I use the 1099-A to file for the exclusion under form 982 or MUST I have a 1099-C?

    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,772, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Apr 28, 2009, 11:57 AM
    Since Box 2 is less than Box 4, there is NO tax consequences to the foreclosure, because, theoretically, the mortgage company will be able to recover their costs when they sell the house. No Form 1099-C will be forthcoming. There are no capital gains or loss on the sale of your personal home.

    If you have not already done so, just file your 2008 tax return as if the Form 1099-A does not exist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099 income with no 1099 form [ 1 Answers ]

How do I file my taxes with out a 1099 form? How can I get one? Thank you

1099 Form for GA [ 1 Answers ]

As an FL employer, Is it necessary to send a copy of the 1099 forms that were issued to subcontractors to the State of GA. If so, what address do I send the copies to?

Form 1099 [ 1 Answers ]

I received the 1099 Tax Form. The total amountof money that is specified under the Total Interest Paid or credited box is of 10.33 $. Do I have to pay this amount of money, or the IRS has to pay? It is mentioned here that "the amount of interest paid or credited to you in the calendar year shown...

1099 Form [ 3 Answers ]

I have been working as a manager since January of 2007 in a trailer park. Getong paid 900 monthly. My rent of 400 is taken out on the 1st and on the 15 I get 500 check which reads as a bill. I was told yesturday that I would be getting a 1099 form at the end of the year. Does this mean I will HAVE...

Form 1099 received, but do I report on Form 1040 or just Form 2106? [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings. I'm hoping I can get some help on what to do with a 1099-MISC form I received from my employer that were for business expense reimbursements. I have read through some questions and answers already and based on them I'm going to file this as a Form 2106. The question is should I...

View more questions Search