Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    travellerkemp's Avatar
    travellerkemp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 16, 2007, 03:00 PM
    Calling International Tax Experts
    Question... am I liable for UK tax

    I worked full time and was taxed in the UK up until July 2005

    At this point I moved to Qatar (where there is no income tax). I was paid from the US whilst working there and paid no tax anywhere, claiming residency in Qatar.

    I have now moved to the US (as off 9th April 2007) on a J-1 visa to work here for a set 18 month period. I have a certificate of exemption from US tax. Whilst working here I will be paid from the UK and my employer is telling me I have to start paying UK income tax.

    Am I not still non-resident as I was whilst working in Qatar? I came here straight from being a Qatari resident, so does my residency still lie there?

    If anyone can help I'd be really greatful:confused:
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,752, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Apr 23, 2007, 01:36 PM
    Sorry, yours is a UK tax question, an area on which I have NO expertise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Refund for International Students [ 8 Answers ]

Hey, A lot of my friends and myself are under the impression that international students on J1 / F1 get a full tax refund. I am not sure if this is completely true. I am from India on J1 and under academic training and hence giving a lot of taxes. Also, if you have used any professional /...

What do the experts think? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently inherited some commercial property with no mortgage. I want to start my own business but my savings are very limited. My question is... can I take out, or would I even qualify for a mortgage on the property that I now own, to start my business? The property has a rental income of appx....

International Student didn't fill tax forms [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was an international students in the past 3 years, from 2003-8 to 2005-12. Now I found that I just filled in the tax return form of 2004 (I didn't get any response of this year by the way). I have no income in 2003, so I thought I didn't need to, and now it seems like that I should fill in...

View more questions Search