Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    paulan55's Avatar
    paulan55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 30, 2008, 11:56 AM
    Bought house in Jun, 2008, withdraw 401k in 2009
    I bought a house in Texas in June, 2008.
    I have a 401k and want to withdraw $4500 without early withdrawl penalty,
    But due to address change, my withdrawl will occur in Jan, 2009.

    Can I still apply for early distribution penalty exemption in 2009 tax calendar year for a house bought in 2008? If yes, can someone describe steps to do so, please?

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Dec 30, 2008, 12:12 PM
    First, the waiver of the Early Withdrawal Penalty due to the first-time purchase of a home is permitted ONLY IF you make the withdrawal from a traditional IRA, NOT a 401K.

    You CAN borrow money from the 401K to help with the purchase of a home, but that money must be repaid with interest.

    Besides, even if the 401K distribution were permitted, the distribution must occur BEFORE the house purchase, NOT after the fact.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Identify each event affecting the 2008 and 2009 accounting periods as asset source [ 5 Answers ]

I need help with this please! I am supposed to Identify each event affecting the 2008 and 2009 accounting periods as asset source (AS), asset use (AU), asset exchange (AE), or claims exchange (CE). Events Affecting the 2008 Accounting Period 1. Acquired cash of $50,000 from the issue of...

Withdraw 401k over age 55 [ 1 Answers ]

I am over age 55 and have a 401k with about $200,000 that I need to access due to unemployment of > 4 months. We bought a house 5 months ago. Based on current economy, there are very few jobs in my occupation in this area at this time. Can you withdraw 50% of a 401k? How can I access about 1/2...

Income Tax in USA for 2008 - 2009 [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I'm a resident of India and will be immigrating to Ohio - USA in Jan 2008 with my wife(dependent). I'll be travelling on H1B visa with annual salary of $60,000. Could you please let me know the approximate tax that I will have to pay yearly? I've heard that one has to pay 30% flat tax in...

Withdraw 401K [ 2 Answers ]

If I quit my job, can I close my 401k and take the money and invest it myself? I have 71000 in the account and I want to start my own business, but I would like to use the 401k to pay off my house and other debts.

Withdraw 401k [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting ready to leave my employment with UPS and would like to withdraw all of my 401k to get all current bills paid off and start over. I am moving to another state

View more questions Search