Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    mr.yet's Avatar
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

    Apr 25, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Becoming illegal for tax purposes
    I quess being a American doesn't pay.

    Becoming Illegal (Actual letter from an Iowa resident and sent to his senator)

    The Honorable Tom Harkin

    731 Hart Senate Office Building
    Phone (202) 224 3254
    Washington DC, 20510

    Dear Senator Harkin,

    As a native Iowan and excellent customer of the Internal Revenue Service, I am writing to ask for your assistance. I have contacted the Department of Homeland Security in an effort to determine the process for b ecoming an illegal alien and they referred me to you. My primary reason for wishing to change my status from U.S. Citizen to illegal alien stems from the bill which was recently passed by the Senate and for which you voted. If my understanding of this bill's provisions is accurate, as an illegal alien who has been in the United States for five years, all I need to do to become a citizen is to pay a $2,000 fine and income taxes for three of the last five years. I know a good deal when I see one and I am anxious to get the process started before everyon e figures it out.

    Simply put, those of us who have been here legally have had to pay taxes every year so I'm excited about the prospect of avoiding two years of taxes in return for paying a $2,000 fine. Is there any way that I can apply to be illegal retroactively? This would yield an excellent result for me and my family because we paid heavy taxes in 2004 and 2005.

    Additionally, as an illegal alien I could begin using the local emergency room as my primary health care provider. Once I have stopped paying premiums for medical insurance , my accountant figures I could save almost $10,000 a year. Another benefit in gaining illegal status would be that my daughter would receive preferential treatment relative to her law school applications, as well as "in-state" tuition rates for many colleges throughout the United States for my son.

    Lastly, I understand that illegal status would relieve me of the burden of renewing my driver's license and making those burdensome car insurance premiums. This is very important to me given that I still have college age children driving my car. If you would provide me with an outline of the process to become illegal (retroactively if possible) and copies of the necessary forms, I would be most appreciative. Thank you for your assistance.

    Your Loyal Constituent,

    Donald Ruppert
    Burlington, IA

    Get your Forms (NOW)! Call your Internal Revenue Service

    Please pass this onto your friends so they can save on this great offer!
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,747, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Apr 25, 2007, 08:33 AM
    A rather humorous (and eye-opening) letter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I a resident or nonresident alien for tax purposes? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been in the US ONLY on an F-1 visa in the calendar years 2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006 and 2007. However, I left the US in April 2004 and came back in Dec 2005 with a new F1 visa for a new degree. I am not sure whether I am a resident alien or non-resident alien for tax purposes. I have not...

Am I still considered a Dependent for Tax purposes? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 21-years-old, and I lived with my parents until mid-September of 2006. From 2002 through November of 2006, I was a full-time student, working full-time in summers and from May 2006 through the end of the year. On my 1040, can I claim 1 exemption for myself, or am I considered a dependent of...

Status for tax purposes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to the United States under tourist status on April and subsequently changed status to h1b on October. If this is the case, will I qualify as a resident alien for tax purposes as I've already spent 183 days in the US. Would my stay as a tourist count under the continuous residency...

Using my rental investment in FL as primary residency for tax purposes [ 1 Answers ]

This might be complex -- but here we go: I am looking at purchasing oceanfront property in FL and I am wondering if I can use FL's no income tax laws to my advantage. I own a home in NC and work in sales for a company based in NC. Here are a few of my questions: 1. Can I choose to list FL as...

From OPT (F-1) to H1B - resident for tax purposes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have been in the US since August 2000. I started college in South Carolina and then transferred to school in Atlanta, GA on Jan 2003. I was on OPT from May 16, 2005 until Jan 07, 2006. On Jan 07, 2006 I started using my H1B status. I currently reside in Atlanta, GA. Between Jan...

View more questions Search