Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    mavricktax's Avatar
    mavricktax Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 24, 2009, 09:29 AM
    Which is an approperiate tax form to file for H1B visa holder?
    Hi All,

    Can some one help me in knowing the difference between the 1040 EZ and 1040NR-EZ forms?

    Am on a H1B visa, working in u.s from nov 2008. I need to file my tax for year 2008. Am consufed which of the forms do I need to file. Few people are filing the 1040NR-EZ , and few are doing 1040EZ, Hence I would request the users to please help in out in figuring out the difference and benefits on the each form, and conclude me which one do I need to file.
    I have received my W2 form from the employer too.

    MukatA's Avatar
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

    Mar 24, 2009, 12:55 PM

    You did not complete substantial presence test in 2008. If you are single, then you can only file nonresident tax return Form 1040NR-EZ.
    Read about H1-B tax filing: Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Visas
    apporva's Avatar
    apporva Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 13, 2013, 07:51 AM
    I want to fill my tax returns for year of 2012. I was on H1 last year but now I am on F1 since October 2012. I have been staying in USA since 2 years continuously. I am confused about which form to fill; 1040NR-EZ or 1040EZ? Kindly help me with this.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Mar 13, 2013, 08:29 AM
    Since you were already a resident alien for 2012, you have the option to file as a resident, or to file dual-status. I believe that filing as a resident is almost always the best choice tax-wise.

    For 2013 to 2016, you will file as a non-resident alien until you change visa status, or until the end of 2016, whichever comes first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

J-1 visa holder, which FORM need to fill.needed urgently [ 13 Answers ]

Hello, I am a J-1 visa holder, trying to file my tax for 2008. I am trying to find out which form I need to fill , whether its 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ or 1040-EZ etc. It will be highly helpful if you could provide help of any sort. I am ready to provide any sort of informations> My details are:...

Husband on H1B visa, Wife on F1 visa- Can we file jointly using form 1040 EZ [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am on an H1B visa and my wife is on an F1 visa. We got married in Dec 2007. I was wondering whether I could file form 1040EZ using the Married Filing Jointly status? Thanks a lot in advance

1042-S form and H4 Visa holder [ 5 Answers ]

I got 1042-S from my university. They treated my scholarship/grant excess to tuition fees as income. Hence Box 2 shows $5568 and at 14%, Box 7 shows 780 Tax. I know that I need to complete a Federal tax return in order to apply for the refund of the taxes that were withheld from the...

I'm a part-time H1-B visa holder but have to file 1099 tax form? [ 1 Answers ]

I work in a small company (with employees less than 10 people). My boss and I understand and follow the minimum wages and hours required to maintain eligibility of part-time H1-B (my visa started in Oct 2005). However, the company does not withheld payroll taxes, so all employees file their...

Tax return form for H1 and H4 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I am a H1B visa holder, came to US in January, 2006. I am married and I have two children, one is born in US and another one in Bangladesh. My wife and one child have H4 visa (dependent visa). I have social security number but they don't have SSC/TIN. Is there anybody can tell me how...

View more questions Search