Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    bearnar's Avatar
    bearnar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 8, 2007, 10:30 PM
    2006 taxes: F-1 OPT Income & Foreign Income
    Hi, I have a somewhat complicated question about my 2006 taxes...

    I came to the US in 2001 on a student visa (F1). After I finished my degree I worked one year under OPT, and I left when my OPT/visa expired in May 2006 and went home to my native country and got a job there. So basically I worked 5 months in the US, and 7 months in the foreign country where I am a citizen.

    Not sure if this makes a difference or not but; now I am actually back in the US on a fiancÚ visa and will marry a US citizen this summer and intend to permanently live here.

    1) Do I file as a resident or non-resident? I was told by my university to file as a resident this year as I have used up all my exempt years (5).

    2) Do I need to report my income from the foreign country on my US tax return? I have paid the necessary taxes on this income in that country.

    3) If I need to report my foreign income and taxes, does that generally raise or lower my U.S. taxes?
    taxsearcher's Avatar
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8
    Full Member

    Mar 9, 2007, 06:30 AM
    You definitely exceeded the five years because you exceeded the maximum period for being an exempt individual.

    However, this just means that you start counting days toward the SPT in 2006. It does not look like you actually passed the required days to become a resident, so it seems to me that you stayed non-resident. You would therefore file a 1040NR and only report US source/effectively connected income.
    bearnar's Avatar
    bearnar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 9, 2007, 11:40 AM
    So even though I have used up all my exempt years, I still file as a NR? In 2006 I was only in the US for about 5 months, but prior to that I have been present most of the time. Does the 5 exempt years not figure into the SPT?

    taxsearcher's Avatar
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8
    Full Member

    Mar 9, 2007, 12:12 PM
    When you calculate the SPT days, you don't use anything during which you were exempt. So you would start counting days from the beginning of the sixth year.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Mar 11, 2007, 12:11 AM
    TaxSearcher has covered it brilliantly as usual.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1st year as a resident alien under L1 visa - Foreign Income / Medicare Taxes [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, We arrived together with my wife and my son March 1st 2006 on a L-1 visa (L-2 for my wife and my son). Before this date, we were resident of France. Our stay in the US could be from 1 to 3 years (could end this year or next year). After that, we will be again resident of France. Our stay...

Foreign Income Exclusion [ 11 Answers ]

Hi experts I am an Indian national, entered the US on July 16th, 2006 on H1B visa and continued to work in the US for the rest of the year. Prior to that I was working in Singapore for over six years continuously since 1999, of which the last 3.5 years were as permanent resident there (including...

Tax on Foreign income ? [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my wife will be filing as "married filing jointly" for tax year 2006 as RESIDENT ALIENS based on passing the substantial presence test. We left the US for UK in June and have lived here ever since ( I cannot claim closer connection to UK based on applications made for change of status in...

Foreign Income, No W2 -- How to file? [ 1 Answers ]

From 1/2006 to 9/2006 I was working for a foreign entity overseas and thus do not have a W2 for these earnings. I do not qualify for the foreign earned income and housing exclusion - deduction. 1. What line on the 1040 should this income be filed under and what kind of explanation, if any,...

Income Tax on Social Security & Interest Income [ 1 Answers ]

I collect SS, withdraw interest income monthly and sell real estate. I am wondering since my interest income & real estate commissions exceed the SS allowable income cap of $12,000 will my SS for the next year be reduced? Will my real estate expenses be deductible from taxes owed on my...

View more questions Search