Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    mtncsoon's Avatar
    mtncsoon Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 4, 2007, 12:54 PM
    2 states: Can I credit state tax of one state to other state
    I have 2 W-2.

    One from job in Mass. Mass state tax is withheld in that W-2. Then I moved to NC and got a new job in NC. NC state tax is withheld in this second jobs W-2.

    Both W-2 only have state tax withheld from their corresponding states. So can I credit taxes of one state to another and vice-versa ? I am planning to fill out Part Time resident forms for both states.

    Thanks in advance
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Apr 13, 2007, 01:22 PM
    You CANNOT claim the credit for taxes paid on the other state in EITHER state tax return. The states contact each other and compare notes, so do NOT do it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing state taxes in two states (IL and MD) [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Tax Expert, I have the following questions for you: 1. Both me and my husbands work on H1B visas and we are considered residents for tax purposes. Last year we filed a joint tax return for federal and IL state taxes. We plan on filing jointly this year. My husband changed jobs in Nov...

Filing state taxes for two different states [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know if I'm filing state taxes for two different states,do I need a special form or do I file separate?

Worked in 2 states on H1. W2 shows only employer's state. [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have worked in CT From Jan 2006 till Aug, 2006 and then from Sept2006 till date in PA. My employer is based in CT and my pay stubs show tax deduction for CT till date. I have lived in CT ( on lease ) when I was in CT working onsite as a consultant for a company in CT. Now I have...

Last year State tax refund and do I report it this year on the state tax form ? [ 2 Answers ]

I received a state tax refund last year from New York. Must I include that amount as income on my New York return this year?

Federal return collected by state for state liability [ 1 Answers ]

I live in wi and filed married jointly I owe the wisc. Dep. Of revenue money but I have paid off the IRS . I filed my fed. Return electronicly and it was accepded, can the wisc .dep. Of rev. take my fed tax return? Or will my fed return be deposited in my account that I have specified with my...

View more questions Search