Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    JCinSC's Avatar
    JCinSC Posts: 5, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 3, 2005, 08:50 PM
    1099-MISC Tax Filing
    First time ever reporting income from a 1099-MISC.

    ALL income is reported on this form. No other income for 2004.
    Total AGI $12,214.

    Question: Am I required to pay SSI and MCR taxes? If so, what forms do I use and are there any other recommendations/suggestions/concerns for filing this type of claim?

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,818, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Feb 28, 2005, 02:16 PM
    JC in SC:

    A Form 1099-MISC normally (though not always) requires filing a Schedule C or Schedule C-EZ. Depending on the level of complexity and the tax deductions available to you, you may have to pay self-employment taxes.

    Based on your income level and assuming you are filing single with no dependents and taking the standard deduction, your income taxes will be minimal. More than likely, you will receive a small credit for the Earned Income Credit which will effectively pay the income tax portion of any taxes due.

    As for the self-employment taxes, with no deductions, your tax liability will be $1808. However, it is likely you have at least some deductions.

    Not sure what you mean by SSI or MCR taxes.

    Post a follow-up if you have further questions. More details about how you earned this money would help.

    Atlanta Tax Expert

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AR 1099-MISC Filing Requirement? [ 4 Answers ]

Small business in Arkansas files 1099-MISC with IRS. Is it required to file a state copy with AR's Dept of Finance Admin? I can't find answer on state of Arkansas' website. If so, where do I file it?

1099-misc, ss-8, etc. Need help! [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, hopefully someone can help me here. This last summer I worked for the University of Michigan as an undergraduate student researcher. I worked under a professor and in my opinion was CLEARLY an employee. However, I recently received a good old 1099-MISC form from U of Michigan stating the...

F1, 1099-misc and w-2s [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am a new member. Its nice to see so many people here who can help. Here's my situation: My status in 2004: Student on F1 (I still am on F1 until my H1 is approved) Was attending school full-time until: August 19, 2004 Working on OPT since August 20, 2004. My nationality: Indian I...

Filing 1099-MISC [ 1 Answers ]

I want to file my 1099-MISC online, but I don't know where to start. Most sites I've been to don't offer 1099-MISC forms to file. I don't own a business, but yes, I am self-employed, but I rent a booth in someone else's business. So where do I start? Can I file online or do I have to get...

View more questions Search