Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    yoyash's Avatar
    yoyash Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 30, 2007, 10:39 AM
    1099 for contractor
    Here is the situation.

    1. Company "ABC. Inc", a S corporation has performed service to another company "123, Inc".

    2. ABC company send invoice to 123 company for the service.

    3. ABC company asked 123 company to issue the check to the individual name of the ABC company's officer, owner.

    4. ABC company received the check from 123 company for the amount and the name they requested..

    5. ABC company cashes the check and recorded entire amount as the income for the company and paid appropriate taxes.

    6. ABC company gave W-9 with ABC company's EIN to 123 company for the record.

    Question is...

    Does 123 company must file 1099 against the individual whom check was issued as a 1099 misc individual income? The check was issued to individual yet the payment was for the contract job between the ABC company and 123 company.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,818, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 30, 2007, 11:31 AM
    No Form 1099-MISC is required, even though the check was issued in the owner's name. The check was constructively received by ABC Company and entered on its books as payment from 123 Company.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I hide my income in an offshore bank account if I am a 1099 contractor? [ 5 Answers ]

I just took a position as a loan officer. Income will be high and so will be taxes. If I am an independent contactor, can I hide some of the income in an offshore bank account? I know that no one will advise upon it I understand that. But how do people get away with it? What kind of work field...

1099-g and 1099-int [ 8 Answers ]

Hi ATE, I am following this forum for last couple of months. It is a very good source of tax information. I am non-resident alien from India. I was on F1 (OPT) from Jan 06, 2005 to Nov 30, 2005. My H1B status started on Dec 01, 2005. I am filing 1040NR-EZ and Form 8843. I have received...

1099-g and 1099-int [ 1 Answers ]

HI ATE, Thank you for reply. I always thought that 1099-INT (Interest income) from non-business activity such as savings/checking account interest, deposit receipt interest or anything that comes under category 1099-INT is exempt for non-residents and should not reflect on 1040NR-EZ. What do...

Incorporated Vs 1099 Contractor [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am trying to know the differences in tax that an individual would pay as an independent contractor vs being incorporated. I am on OPT now and would convert to H-1 in OCtober. I got an offer from a company and would like me to be incorporated. My total estimated income would be close...

Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

This might be a silly question but here goes, I am a middle aged man wanting to start a painting business, a career change if you will? But do I need some kind of contractors license to do this? I paint fantastic and pretty good in faux painting. How would I get by without getting sued for being a...

View more questions Search