Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    scorpiette's Avatar
    scorpiette Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 10, 2006, 04:35 PM
    1099 C
    I have a line of credit account that is now delinquent. Most recently the sent me a notice regarding a settlement. This is what the letter says: "Settle your past due account ONCE AND FOR ALL! Your current outstanding balance due on account number XXXX is $5,448.52. As of January 1, 2006, we will accept a payment of only $2996.69 to settle your account. Send in a check for $2,996.69 now and your account will be settled and closed and we will STOP ALL COLLECTION EFFORTS." It further goes on to state:" They are extending this limited-time opportunity to settle my account for an amount significantly less than my outstanding balance. When we receive your settlement payment, your account will be settled and closed and you will also avoid further negative consequences to your Credit Record." My concern is this.. can they turn around and issue me a 1099-C for the remaining unpaid balance even after offering me a settlement? When I asked them the lady first said yes but after I asked her some other questions she admitted she was unsure. I need to know because the lady stated that the unpaid balance would be $3,376.14 and this amount being reported to IRS as income would cause me to have to adjust my withholdings to zero to avoid owing a tax debt on my 2006 tax return.
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,818, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Feb 10, 2006, 10:44 PM
    Yes, you can count on getting a 1099-C, regardless of what any representative says.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please, please help. H1b and 1099 [ 1 Answers ]

I am a physician doing j1 waiver , on H1b visa. I am employed by a private group. The hospital pays 25000 dollar as a policy to new doctors over three years as signing bonus. In 2004 the hospital paid me 6000 dollar , but they sent me 1099 misc which I accepted and also showed on my tax refund. I...

1099-c [ 3 Answers ]

I have already received my refund for this year. After receiving my refund, I received a 1099-C form. I took it to my tax account and she said that the $65,340.71 in box 2 (it also listed interest in box 3 $9577.90), that I would have to pay taxes on, which is $14,000. I told her, isnít my ex...

1099 without tax id [ 1 Answers ]

I am still preparing the 1099 forms. One contractor fails to provide us his tax id. IRS 1099 instructions indicate that there may be penalty for not providing the tax id. Shoud I still file the 1099 for him without the tax ID? Or it is better off not to file at all.

1099-g [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I received a 1099-G regarding state tax refund I got 2005 and I know I have to include it as income in Form 1040. And I also received another 1099 form saying "Statement for Recipients of Interest Income", "Calendar Year", "Total Interest Paid or Credited-$36.67". My questions are, 1) I...

1099 and H1 [ 3 Answers ]

Thanks for your valuable help that you are giving to so many people. I need one help too. I am on H1. Can I work on 1099. Will this create any problems? Secondly. How may hours I can work on 1099 if I am allowed to? I am working 40/week on W2 with a consulting conpany on H1. I want to...

View more questions Search