Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    bkapoor's Avatar
    bkapoor Posts: 10, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 9, 2006, 01:13 AM
    1098-T for F1 student

    I was on an F1 visa from Aug 2004 to May 2005 when I graduated. I paid full tuition for the Spring 2005 semester. I am currently on an H1B visa (beginning Oct 1st 2005).

    I would like to wait until June and file as a resident under first year choice so that I can get the $4000 education deduction. However, I don't have a form 1098-T. My university did not issue one to me because of my non-resident status. Can I claim the tuition deduction without that form ? If so, how will I prove to them that I really paid the tuition that I am claiming ?

    Thanks a lot for your help,

    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Apr 9, 2006, 03:21 PM

    Contact the university and ask for the Form 1098-T. You CAN claim the tuition cost without the Form 1098-T, but it is best that you have one, because it provides the IRS with the paper trail they want.
    bkapoor's Avatar
    bkapoor Posts: 10, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 9, 2006, 07:50 PM

    Thank you for the prompt reply. I appreciate your help. Just to sum it up :

    I should be filing the following -
    1) Form 4868 for extension before April 15th 06.
    2) Form 8843 to account for my F1 status from Jan to May 05.
    3) Form 1040 after I fulfill Substantial presence in June 06.

    On Form 1040, I can claim $5000 standard deduction + $3200 personal exemption + $4000 tuition deduction.

    Also, my employer (erroneously) deducted ss & medicare tax when I was on OPT from July to September 05. If I was filing as a non-resident, I would have been eligible for claiming a refund. But I cannot claim a refund if I am filing as a resident, right ?

    Thanks a lot again,

    bkapoor's Avatar
    bkapoor Posts: 10, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 9, 2006, 11:30 PM
    Hi again,

    I just realised that the tuition that I intend to claim as a tax deduction was paid out to the university in Dec 04 for the Spring 05 semester. If the transaction took place in 2004, can I claim it as a deduction this year on the grounds that it was "meant" for the 2005 semester ?

    Thanks !

    vaya's Avatar
    vaya Posts: 55, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member

    Apr 10, 2006, 05:44 AM
    Nope, you cannot deduct fees paid in 2004. And you cannot claim ss and medicare taxes.


Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1098-t [ 5 Answers ]

Should I file this 1098-T form. I was on student visa the whole year. What is 1098T?

F-1 student tax [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I have a question. Im an F-1 student. I graduated in May 2005. I have been working on OPT since June all the way until the end of the year. That makes me qualified to file tax as a non-resident. Ok I earned an amount of 4200 on W-2 (not on H-1, its F-1)with federal tax 225 and state...

F1 student on CPT [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, I am working on CPT and my earnings from this job is just below 10,000$ and about 1000$ from school in the year 2005. I am an indian student.My employer didn't deduct any taxes from my internship but my school did deduct some money. My question is am I eligible for taxes because last year...

1098-T form [ 1 Answers ]

What is the use of 1098-T form for international students on F-1 visa (with assistantship). I received such form from my univ. and says some amount. Can I take exemption of that much amount. Advise please Thanks

Form 1098-E and Moving expenses [ 5 Answers ]

I received a 1098-E from U.S. Dept of Ed for my student loan. However, I know that I did not pay the interest amount indicated in box 1. In box to the box is check saying that the interest indicated on the form includes loan orifination fees and/or capitalized interest. Will this come back to me...

View more questions Search