I have 2009 Spring courses that are showing up on my 2008 1098-t. Box 7 is checked indicating this fact. Based on my interpretation of pub970, it says that expenses paid in 2008 for spring courses in 2009 CAN be claimed on your 2008 return. I want to know if I can edit the total amount, claiming only the amount that is for 2008 classes, and subtract out the Spring 2009 courses from the total, saving this amount for 2009 taxes. It wasn't clear to me in pub970 as it just says it's eligible, but didn't sound like it was necessary. Thank you.